Crazy Foam!!!

robchuck

An hour or so after performing a water change, some routine maintenance, and cleaning my skimmer yesterday afternoon, I started hearing a "rattling" sound coming from my tank room. I walk in and see the skimmer's lid floating and dancing on the most foam I've ever seen produced by a skimmer!
I'm not exactly sure why this only happened yesterday and never before, but I can't complain, as this skimmer has been a beast (Euro Reef CS-250). It typically takes 3-4 days for the collection cup to fill with a thick & dark sludge, but after yesterday's cleaning, it's already 3/4 full!
Here's a couple of pics of the mayhem (for reference the main tube is 8" in diameter and the water level is set at 1" below the ring dividing the main tube and the cone):

mavgi

Originally Posted by RobChuck
An hour or so after performing a water change, some routine maintenance, and cleaning my skimmer yesterday afternoon, I started hearing a "rattling" sound coming from my tank room. I walk in and see the skimmer's lid floating and dancing on the most foam I've ever seen produced by a skimmer!
I'm not exactly sure why this only happened yesterday and never before, but I can't complain, as this skimmer has been a beast (Euro Reef CS-250). It typically takes 3-4 days for the collection cup to fill with a thick & dark sludge, but after yesterday's cleaning, it's already 3/4 full!
Here's a couple of pics of the mayhem (for reference the main tube is 8" in diameter and the water level is set at 1" below the ring dividing the main tube and the cone):
have the same problem after clean my skimmer to i have the cs8-3 (about the same size of the cs-250) i pull down the raiser and after 10 minute the skimmer start to stabile again i believe that you move all the skimmer budy in the sump and what cause this is all the the additives that seated down move and when the skimmer start to work the area where the skimmer locate in the sump get a strong bubble and the skimmer start to creat this crazy foam low the water level in the skimmer down as you can wait 10 or 20 minute and you can set the level again.

robchuck

Hey Andy!
The tank is going well. I've gotten past most of the stumbling blocks I was going through the last time you saw the tank. The tangs are doing especially well; the Desjardini Sailfin just passed the 11 year-old mark. Hopefully you've got that Beckett dialed in by now!
Mavgi,
Your description matches my theory of what happened. It's just strange that I've never had to adjust the riser after a cleaning and water change, especially considering that the water level inside the skimmer didn't move. Anyways, if you ever get the chance to match a SP5 pump to your 8-3, I would highly recommend it. This skimmer is putting all of my previous skimmers to shame.

mavgi

Hi Rob
i have the sp5 pump , BTW where is your water level inside the skimmer.
here is picture for the skimmer after clean it again

robchuck

My water level hovers right around the ring where the main body transitions into the cone. That's where I originally set it and haven't touched it since November, and I get a full cup every 3-4 days at this setting.

bigtyguyy

i just bought my euro reef and i am wondering where i should set the return pipe ( how high up) and air mixure? :help:

bigtyguyy

shawn what have you set your euro reef settings at? how long will it take to start pullen crap out.. like a week or so, so that it can build up its bacteria levels?

robchuck

Originally Posted by bigtyguyy
i just bought my euro reef and i am wondering where i should set the return pipe ( how high up) and air mixure? :help:
When I first set this skimmer up, I started with the riser as low as it could go. I left it that way for 12 hours and then slowly started raising the tube. This skimmer started pulling almost instantly and had my first full cup of skimmate in less than a week after sitting the skimmer in the sump.
Right now, the water level is about halfway up the cone and the skimmer is yielding a full cup of dark, dry, thick skimmate every 3-4 days.

aw2

Originally Posted by RobChuck
Hey Andy!
The tank is going well. I've gotten past most of the stumbling blocks I was going through the last time you saw the tank. The tangs are doing especially well; the Desjardini Sailfin just passed the 11 year-old mark. Hopefully you've got that Beckett dialed in by now!
Good to hear the Desjardini is still doing well...that's still the most beautiful Tang I've ever seen...and HUGE!
I still dont have the Beckett set up...I recently moved back to Southern IL, from Chicago and had to temporarily setup the 90gal. and the 200 is out in the garage. I still dont have a pump for the skimmer. Do you still have that Iwaki or did you finally sell it?

shawnlx86

bigtyguyy said:
shawn what have you set your euro reef settings at? how long will it take to start pullen crap out.. like a week or so, so that it can build up its bacteria levels?[/QUOTe
It's still sitting in the box, not set up yet.

robchuck

Originally Posted by AW2
Good to hear the Desjardini is still doing well...that's still the most beautiful Tang I've ever seen...and HUGE!
She's still going great! Though I may actually be searching for a new home for her and all of my livestock later this year. My wife and I are having a child this summer, and after looking at the budget, it looks like I'll probably end up converting the tank to a FW planted community tank.
I still dont have the Beckett set up...I recently moved back to Southern IL, from Chicago and had to temporarily setup the 90gal. and the 200 is out in the garage. I still dont have a pump for the skimmer. Do you still have that Iwaki or did you finally sell it?
Hopefully you made it through the storms alright. The Iwaki 55 is still sitting in my basement awaiting a buyer. I've had it listed on CMAS, but no takers yet.