Crickets....

flower

Well tell me if I'm crazy but...

I am getting a capuchin monkey.

I have always wanted one and done a lot of research on them. I met a great breeder and think in about 6 months I will have my own baby.
LOL...I thought it was some kind of SW critter, until I looked it up. When I was about 8 years old, grandmother got one (I didn't know what the name of it was, but I remember the monkey...same as the one you want), another one came to the window, and then she had two. They were awesome little critters, but the smell was beyond trying to explain...no amount of cleaning could get rid of the odor.

One day I came into the living room of their apartment, my grandfather was looking out the upstairs window and ducking down...I asked him what he was doing. "SHHH he whispered, get down!" I looked over the edge of the window just enough to see what he was looking at. A woman and a little boy standing across the street looking all around...holding my grandmothers monkeys.

My grandfather (after about 3 years) decided the monkey buds had to go. He went outside, with the monkeys in their carrying cage. A little boy thought they were cool looking. He gave the boy the monkeys. What I saw him doing was hiding from the mother, so she couldn't give them back. I'm sure she didn't believe they were given to her child. I laugh about it now, (both have since died, and it's a beloved memory of my grandfathers antics) but it certainly was not the right way to rehome pets.

Kristin1234

LOL...I thought it was some kind of SW critter, until I looked it up. When I was about 8 years old, grandmother got one (I didn't know what the name of it was, but I remember the monkey...same as the one you want), another one came to the window, and then she had two. They were awesome little critters, but the smell was beyond trying to explain...no amount of cleaning could get rid of the odor.

One day I came into the living room of their apartment, my grandfather was looking out the upstairs window and ducking down...I asked him what he was doing. "SHHH he whispered, get down!" I looked over the edge of the window just enough to see what he was looking at. A woman and a little boy standing across the street looking all around...holding my grandmothers monkeys.

My grandfather (after about 3 years) decided the monkey buds had to go. He went outside, with the monkeys in their carrying cage. A little boy thought they were cool looking. He gave the boy the monkeys. What I saw him doing was hiding from the mother, so she couldn't give them back. I'm sure she didn't believe they were given to her child. I laugh about it now, (both have since died, and it's a beloved memory of my grandfathers antics) but it certainly was not the right way to rehome pets.

Aww! What a fun memory! I bet your grandmother was livid! They say the squirrel monkeys have pretty bad odor but if bathed 1x week the capuchins don't get smelly unless dirty. We went to the breeders home and he had no monkey smell. I'm hoping this is the case for us as well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well tell me if I'm crazy but...

I am getting a capuchin monkey.

I have always wanted one and done a lot of research on them. I met a great breeder and think in about 6 months I will have my own baby.
You are crazy. I had one and will never again. Scar on my left thumb where he bit the crap out of me (decades ago and still there); but nothing compared to what he did to my father's hand which required major stitch work. Nearly lost his thumb. As he got older, he became more and more dangerous. Not a good pet and if you have children I would never in a million yrs consider this. Leave them in the wild. (Just so you know, I keep snakes so I'm not afraid nor do I exaggerate little mishaps with exotic pets.)

jay0705

Ha ha ha ha this thread is funny. I'am an exotic pet keeper myself. Chinchillas, snakes, ect. Monkeys I've never tried , but have thought about it. A tiger is more of a must have lol. Like beth said tho I have heard they can be nasty. It seems they accept one person generally and anybody else is shall we say at there own risk lol

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ha ha ha ha this thread is funny. I'am an exotic pet keeper myself. Chinchillas, snakes, ect. Monkeys I've never tried , but have thought about it. A tiger is more of a must have lol. Like beth said tho I have heard they can be nasty. It seems they accept one person generally and anybody else is shall we say at there own risk lol
That one person is my family's case was my father....yet, he almost lost his thumb.....he was the only one who dared feed him as he would wildly attack other family members if the mood struck. Cute but they are not domestic creatures not even remotely. I don't consider snakes domestic creatures either, but will trust my pythons over a capuchin not to land me in the hospital. These animals have serious teeth full grown and they can use them to rip in to a human (and they keep coming at you too when riled).

jay0705

I've only been bitten twice by snakes. Both times my fault, I miss judged just how far they could strike when feeding frozen food. Neither time was anything more than minor

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, mine has always been food related, and me being half not paying attention. I'd rather be bitten by a royal python than scratched by a cat--the latter actually hurts and sometimes gets a tad infected.

lmforbis

There are also some disease issues with non human primates. Many diseases can cross primate species so they can make you sick and you can make them sick.

Back too your original question, yes you are crazy!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There are also some disease issues with non human primates. Many diseases can cross primate species so they can make you sick and you can make them sick.

Back too your original question, yes you are crazy!!
Oh, you mean like the HIV?? Yeah, just like that.....:eek:

Kristin1234

I know a couple of people who have had their capuchins one going on 13 years and got them as babies. If you do it right ( not saying you didn't Beth), establish trust early, establish who is the boss, and put the time and effort into training, it can be done. And I am gonna do It. : ) .

The new world monkeys are a very healthy species. Rarely will they pass a disease. Rabies and Hepatitis being the most common and worrisome and it is rare, but hey, my dog could give me rabies if he bit me and he was infected and if someone with hepatitis coughed in my eyeball, they could give me hepatitis.. Could it happen? Yeah. Will it happen? Probably not.

When buying from a reputable breeder, they are tested for both diseases and would have to be exposed to get infected.

For every horror story there will be a success story.

Kristin1234

Don't most pets have the one person they attach to? I know my dogs do. Hell even my fish swim to me at feeding time lol.
This was our first time meeting, he was not intimidated, scared, roughor anything other than loving to us20151029_124421_HDR.jpg 20151029_130147_HDR.jpg .

jay0705

Ouch. What kind of snakes?
Red tail boa and ball python. Both were little. Now if my boa got me it would hurt lol. He was 18" then, now he's 6ft lol. Your rt tho if done rt most critters can be kept. Just remember there all still capable of being animals lol

Kristin1234

Red tail boa and ball python. Both were little. Now if my boa got me it would hurt lol. He was 18" then, now he's 6ft lol. Your rt tho if done rt most critters can be kept. Just remember there all still capable of being animals lol
6 ft snake? Omg. They terrify me.

jay0705

Lol ha ha ha. Thats small, I always liked the Albion Burmese pythons. But 16ft is too much snake for me. Plus feeding that thing omg lol. Stick w a monkey lol

Kristin1234

Lol. No worries. I promise you I won't get a snake. Ever.

My husband bought one a long time ago and it was a baby ball python. When it came to feeding time I made him get rid of it and I tired to save this little pink baby mouse he was gonna feed him. I took the mouse out of the cage and left the snake some grapes. Lol. Poor little thing died anyway but he returned that thing the next day.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
May need to worry more about a wrap around event than a bite with this badboy.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that, unless one is a professional, or highly exp., the giant snakes are best left off of the pet lists. Even highly exp. keepers tend develop unrealistic expectations or confidences with their potentially deadly animals.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0916_030916_primatepets.html

jay0705

Agreed. Reptiles just don't have typical personality. If a big snake wants to kill you, its going to do it. It amazes me how people just let them roam the house.