critter getter tank

jawfishray

I have been giving the problem of unwanted guests hitching a ride into the secluded tank world. It seems there are as many "damn thing came with the LR" as there are "yahhheehooo it came with the LR".
So I am giving the problem some forethought, I am moving and can afford a small amount of concept design time.
I do believe I am going to make a mantis shrimp (large 4-5") tank. These guys are fun watch but are a nightmare if they get into a reef tank. If there were a secluded tank to set the incoming LR into, after it has been heavy salt or fresh water dipped, the mantis would seek out these critters good or bad and consume them completely. No worries.
From the dipped water you could hopefully collect a few good guys to introduce into a Quar tank and then the reef. Seems like the best way to avoid any bad guys getting in...like the cirolaniod isopods. I have to imagine the isopods are like a cheeseburger to a mantis shrimp.
Any thoughts?
Ray
PS
Using a big mantis, and only one, I could hopefully control the possibility of egg production and little mantis making it into the reef.

a potential problem that I see right off the bat is what if the mantis decides to make his home in one of the rocks you are trying to "clean" and yet you dont know which one. If there were a way to control that I think it would be pretty cool.

jawfishray

Got this one covered. I have already been designing my clearing station. I have, drawn out, made the first model with a drop tank, 100-120gl, with sectioned areas to allow for 4-5 chambers. These chambers will be separated by hard layers (glass, plexi, etc) and have protien skimming mesh filters for overflow passing...left to right etc.
I will most likely only have one good sized mantis, 4-5", and he will be convinced to move from chamber to chamber.
This could be fun. I will make 500-600lbs of concrete/oyster shell rocks with 5lb average. These will be my starters and will have a common design to allow for easy linking, locking, and placement.
I will make an ongoing record of the results.
:)
Ray