croacea clam w/ a few spots

drea

i have 4 clams which are doing amazing, one of them came w/ a couple of spots that look like fungus ( 6-8 spots not too big) ...
the clam responds well, opens does what the others do... will these spots go away or??? anyway of knowing what it could be?

nycbob

i'd love to see a pic of it. i know clams do fairly well with a freshwater dip of 30sec to get rid of any parasites. i hv dip my clams for more than 30 secs many times, so harm done.

candycane

Check your magnesium levels. Sometimes Croceas and certain color maximas will get BROWN spots around the mantle "loops" if the magnesium level is to low. It is also caused by light part of the time. If you throw a clam in a tank where it is getting to much light, it MIGHT develope spots on the same place on the mantle until it has has a chance to adjust to the light. Is it trying to tilt to one side? If it is light shock, they usually try to lay on their side a little bit to cut the excess light off from getting to their mantle.
If you try to do a freshwater dip to an already healthy clam that does not have a pathogen or bacterial infection, it will most likely stress it out a LOT. Freshwater dips I usually only use a, the clam would go one way or another' sort of thing.
EDIT: If you are talking about any other color then brown, like white spots, then that's a completely different thing. A pic would really help though.

paintballer768

Pics, and then I can say whether its just the clams morph or what. Could be a number of things, but we're only guessing at this point

drea

cool, thanx a lot guys, i will try to get a pic later tonight, but i have been so busy as many of you are, i hate when no pics are posted either!

nietzsche

yes, like paintballer said, its best to provide pics before we can diagnose anything. providing parameters like magnesium, alka, calcium, lighting, tank dimensions can help us out more

nietzsche

it might be a pattern that it has, justlike the one the left has the tanish pattern that is a stripe, some have them in blotches. but as long as its not actually loosing zooxanthallae, you should be fine. looks like your other ones are doing well.
as long as you know you have the proper lighting for it then i wouldnt worry about it. if youve gone to clams direct's website, youll notice the top right corner their clam has the same spots

nycbob

nice looking clams. looks like maybe bleaching. but it will recover under proper condition. they look happy to me.

candycane

There are three types of bleaching.
You can rule out central, unless you can see something along the lines of the inner mantle (where the two siphons are) turning white.
Generalized just tends to white out the entire mantle all at once.
The last one is localized. Localized just forms as patches of white in areas at random times. However it is usually caused by the ZTS system somehow getting blocked off from light. If the mantle was never blocked, then it may be caused by an infection that may or may not harm the clam.
Either way NycBob is probably right. It most likely is only localized bleaching. Unless it becomes Generalized, then....................

drea

nice!! thanx for all the help guys, i will see how it turns out.. i have a really nice clam in my display, but for now all of these are for sale or trade as i have no more room in my lil nano...