Crocea keeps jumping

mattman91

I just bought my first crocea clam, and he keeps jumping off of my rocks. By jumping, I mean closing his shell really quickly even though nothing has created a shadow over him to scare him or anything. I was thinking that maybe because my LFS had him on a sandbed, he got accustomed to it? Does this happen? Because he isn't making any connection to the rock with his byssal threads. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

geoj

It can take 3-4 days or longer to attach. I would put it on a rock that you can move. They will also move if in a spot that they don't like.

mattman91

What would make him decide he didn't like a particular spot? I've read that they shouldn't have so much current that their mantle moves, and he's not in a spot where that happens. Also, I gave him alot of light, with the exact same kind of light that the LFS had on it. ( I bought that from them too) Are there other clam happiness factors I'm not aware of?

geoj

Put it on a flat rock that is horizontal. Don't allow it to be stung by a coral. Keep trying new spots till you find one. That's pretty much all you need to do.

mattman91

So its been 2 days, and the clam is still in the same spot. But the way he has positioned himself, his mantle rubs against the rocks when its fully out. Is this ok? Will it irritate him? Should I move him again?
Here is a picture, you can see the right half of his mantle is against the rocks.

geoj

That is ok, They are also called boring clams, because as they grow they burrow into the rocks. If growing in the ocean naturally all you may see is its mantel sticking out of the rock.