Crosshatch Trigger Tankmates

jasper180

My 180 is done cycling and ready for fish, currently 100lbs. of live rock and 200lbs of sand (80 live, 120 southdown. I want to put in a pair of Crosshatch triggers; I was thinking of adding a Sargassum and Bluechin Trigger to the mix (total of four fish). Baseing this on all four fish maxing out under 12" and are all mellow for triggers. Question what order would you introduce in (thinking Crosshatches first because they are most importent to me, the other two can be returned if they don't work out)? Second some books claim these three triggers to be "reef safe"; how acurate is this?
Erik

jasper180

Ed,
I was not planning on having a full reef,was hoping to have some snails and crabs along with a few soft corals. Is a 180 not big enough for a pair of Crosshatches?
Erik

fmarini

Hi:
An LFS has a pair of them (they want about $300/pair) anyway the male is approx 10" long, and the female slightly smaller. i would say a 180 gal tank is prolly borderline for triggers this size. These fish are very active and swim constantly, I'm not sure of there hardiness, but for that money. they better be
frank

dpittman

Jasper - have you found a sargassum? I have been looking for one for a LONG time - apparently a fairly deep water fish. Any help would be appreciated - Crosshatch is very similar to the bluechin but gets bigger - my bluechin never stops - he swims in front of one the water returns against the current for hours on end.
If you know a source for the sargassum let me know!

jasper180

DPittman,
I have not found one yet, my LFS is searching says he sees them at least once a month. themarinecenter.com is another outlet. If I get one I will let you know. Starting to wonder if my 180 is big enough for one. What size is your bluechin in?
Erik

beach bum

Why does fishbase consider them "reef-assosciated"? Does this differ from pelagic (this means open ocean habitat, right)?
I would like to learn more about triggers of all kinds, can any of you guys give me a good, comprehensive reource?
<a href="http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Xanthichthys&speciesname=mento" target="_blank">fishbase.org - Xanthichthys mentos</a>

jasper180

Beach Bum,
I am in the same boat. I am doing a 180gal trigger tank, I have been researching for a couple of months. Based on potential size and temperment the Crosshatch and Sargassum shounded like good choice, everything saying they are "reef safe" and hardy. Scott Michael's book makes them sound like a good choice.
The board lets you talk to people that have owned the fish you are interested in. My lfs is best in the area but they would sell me six or seven triggers for my 180.
Erik

dpittman

By Blue Chin is in a 240. He has plenty of room -they don't get as big as sargassum's/crosshatch's.
Let me know if marine center gets some in! I have been checking with them too.

jasper180

DPittman,
I was talking to someone last night who said there is embargo with the area that Sargassum are from. So none have been imported for over a year. I don't know if this is true just heard it from a stranger at LFS last night.
I decided to do a pair of bluechins instead of the crosshatchs due to size of my tank. If I ever find a Sargassum I will get it.
Erik