***** Cruelty

dazed1

Not sure if this is the right forum, or not, but i visited ***** recently to purchase a MagFloat ( I NEVER buy live stock from there), and What do i see ?
one 10 gallon SW tank with approx 20 Clarkii clown's. Of those 19 were dead. The one alive was almost dead. you could see more white spot's than on a spotted blenny !
Saw a 20G tank with a toad stool leather, copper band, a yellow tang, chocolate chip starfish and few other's.
A 10G with a few Domino damsel's. Instead of having the regular 3 spot's, they had LOTS more spot's (ICK).
When i complained to the employee who was in charge, he laughingly said that they probably did not make it through the transition period.
The tank's were also covered with green and red slime algae.
Please, complain about it. Its just sad when you see such thing's
http://www.petcocruelty.com

dazed1

Originally posted by lilbuddy
man that sucks..... BUT by you buying stuff from them you are keeping them in business. I fully understand your concerns and i agree with you but you can get stuff so cheap online its worth it. Unless you needed the pump that day than i can understand you have to do what you have to do.

I know buying from them makes it better from them, but i really needed the magfloat to clean my tank. None of the other 4 pet stores around had it :(

jbeck

There are a couple around here that are not too bad. There is one in nashua that is decent and also in natick and leominster.

asmiley73

Sorry you guys don't have a good ***** in your area. I was fortunate to have 2. Both have very knowledgeable guys that really know salt water care. As a matter of fact I meant a couple salt water hobbiest in ***** who persueaded me to do salt water instead of cichlid aquarium. Plus, I have been over there like once a week, and never saw a dead fish or sick fish. All look healthy and swimming around.

fishtails

Asmiley73-Still supporting those "good" *****'s will keep the bad one's in business,plus our lfs's who specialize in fish need the help more than *****. Please stop buying form them. I'll be going to mines and talking ot the manager. Anyone live in the Chattanooga,TN area?
Please everyone who reads this go to this site and read it,write a complaint about it,even if you haven't been there,you've heard it from us.We need to stop this mess.:mad:

asmiley73

Funny, cause the guys who I talked to were BUYING fish not selling. They also referred me to a place in Randallstown, MD.

aarone

I used to work at the local *****, im not sure how this ***** does there SW tank, but the one i was at had a 60 gallon tank sectioned off into 20 gallon 3rds, its more or less an optical illusion and looks fairly small.

aarone

Plus, I have been over there like once a week, and never saw a dead fish or sick fish. All look healthy and swimming around.
then again, how long have you been in the hobby?

sea goblin

May i suggest that rather than have all of the *****'s in the world get shut down that we get to the root of the problem. That is there is nothing protecting the living organisms that we all buy for our home aquariums. the very fact that you want to shut down ***** would mean that you would also want to make it so that anyone who has ever lost a fish, or maybe doesnt take care of them, not be able to have fish too. I think what is needed is a better system that makes people more aware of what they are doing, and to better educate people. Forums like this go a long way in that process, but not everyone can read them and learn as we can. I do agree that ***** has a bad history of aquatic care, but then too does wal-mart, and many LFS. Do you suggest that we shut all of them down too? I hope you all see my point as well, i am in no way saying that what ***** does is right. Just my .02
Sea Goblin

Yes, but ***** goes far beyond just hurting fish. If you ever visit PETA's ***** Sucks site, you'll find that there have been numerous reports of the employees failing to feed the animals, failing to remove dead animals, failing to take care of sick animals, failing to change the bedding on animals, selling sick and dying animals, and worst of all, putting dyeing animals of all types (hamsters, snakes, fish, everything) into the freezer so they won't have to spend the money to put them down humanely. There is a rule in ***** policy: no more amount should be spent on an animal's healthcare than the animal is worth. It is also a rule that employees must clean the store before they are allowed to tend to sick and dying animals. There should be laws against s*** like this. It's not fair to be in business if your policy is to not take care of the animals you're seling. What we should do: we should petition our legislators and representatives to pass better animal cruelty laws; ones that include not just dogs and cats and other large animals, but smaller ones like ferrets, mice, rats, fish, birds, and so on. One person said that you can tell *****'s daily death count by opening up the door to their refrigerator... let's put a stop to this.

jcsurfn

I just had a store open up near me. We have not had one before. When I went there I saw that they actually has some saltwater fish. They had the 2 percula clowns I wanted. I was waiting on my lfs to get some in. When my lfs stuff came in they did not get the 2 percula clowns I wanted. So I went to ***** to get them. They were the false ones. My lfs only got the true ones in they said the false ones did not look good so they would not get me one. That made me mad but that is just my lfs for you. I went to ***** about 3 times to look them over. They were tank raised and were the false ones I wanted. There were a lot in the small tank together. I have not been awear of the stuff that goes on at *****. I usually do not buy my stuff from they anyways and I agree that some over the stuff I hhave just read is just wrong if that is the case. I am not sure if or store here is any differeent than the others but it seems ok. My 2 percula clowns have been doing really good and I am very happy with them. I have bought my other fish at my lfs. I guess I just got lucky with it being a new store maybe. :D I also agree though that a lot of lfs need some help also. I know I have not seen the best fish at my lfs. :D I hope they all some day learn.

reefersx2

Unfortunately ***** get a bad reputation for things they do however there are may LFS that do much worse they are just not nationwide so they dont get as much exposure. I am not trying to defend them I am just saying don't buy fish from them and hopefully everyone else there will take queue from that. Here there is a chain called Pet Land not the greatest for saltwater fish and the employees there come into the store I work at to get fish. Just my experience and .02

dazed1

Aaahh.. Its good to know everyone cares. Please report your ***** or ANY FS that treat's pet/fish badly including Petsmart. Although Petsmart has better kept fish (atleast around here) than *****.

dreeves

Regardless of how ***** or anybody treats their livestock, I wouldnt think this to be the place to drum up complaints against them...especially for that site which was posted...and believe me when I say I dislike that chain like the next guy...

dfishh

Dazed where do u liv, i have a ***** near me that sounds just like that, and the people there sound just like the one u described, same atitude. they really need to stop ordering sw fish, cuz most of them end up ded! they have ordered so many tangs for their 10 gallon tanks, and triggers and other fish that will obviously die in there tanks:mad: :( :confused: :eek: