Crummy video of my tank.

trigger40

I got a background for my tank! it looks much better but the algae makes part of it a really dark blue. but here is the video

trigger40

lets see if this works. sorry about the quality, i'd just rather do this than go through tha hastle of posting pics.

trigger40

oh and dont worry about these fish being such a small tank. ive got a 100g that needs to be set up but i dot have a light or filter yet. but the fish seem happy for now, especially after a big feeding! i'll start a build thread once i got everything.

1guydude

Kool tank man. U should get one of the small cheap jaebo powerheads or something similar imo. Mo flow!
Than an urchin for the algae. Hths. Looks great.
D

trigger40

well i did get a new pump! i swiched it out for the weeker one. i went from a 110 gph pump to a 500 gph pump. the sand bed cleared up. my trigger fish also pulled apart my rock so i had to re aquaskape. but with the extra flow the fish and coral appear to be happy.

pegasus

well i did get a new pump! i swiched it out for the weeker one. i went from a 110 gph pump to a 500 gph pump. the sand bed cleared up. my trigger fish also pulled apart my rock so i had to re aquaskape. but with the extra flow the fish and coral appear to be happy.
It makes a difference. I am a firm believer in high flow. When I bought my used 125, I asked the previous owner if it came with any powerheads. Her reply? "I never had any fish that could handle any flow". REALLY? I still have two of the three fish that came with the tank, because the 8 year old clown decided to die after a few months. The other two, a Yellow Hawaiian Tang and Coral Beauty Angel really enjoy the four 1200GPH (each) Sicce pumps. Her lack of flow was the leading factor in a one day teardown, transport, and setup, turning into a one month cycle process. The sand was so polluted and so stirred up from transport that I started a new sandbed. I ordered 120lbs of SeaFlor Special, washed the existing sand, set up the live rocks, and waited. I say if it's pushing rocks off the stack, and blowing sand and corals all over the tank, it may be a bit excessive. Otherwise, it's just right. Fish love currents, and corals depend on them to bring food and take away waste.

1guydude

IMHO 500gph pump ain't nothin. Maybe for like a 10g.
Not trying to tell Any1 how to run there tank.
Ur gonna need larger pumps for ur upgrade anyway.
-d

trigger40

i was thinking going with a wave box but i hear they break a lot. i am also looking at some hydro pumps. im thinking two 1000 gph pumps(maybe more?) with the filter and i should be fine. my zoa's, toad stool, and kenya trees are loving the new flow but no so much the shrooms. i had to hide them behind some rocks so they would open up. all of the fish like to hang out in the current and you see them more now. the tank now has about 1000 gallons of flow including the filter and other pump.

pegasus

i was thinking going with a wave box but i hear they break a lot. i am also looking at some hydro pumps. im thinking two 1000 gph pumps(maybe more?) with the filter and i should be fine. my zoa's, toad stool, and kenya trees are loving the new flow but no so much the shrooms. i had to hide them behind some rocks so they would open up. all of the fish like to hang out in the current and you see them more now. the tank now has about 1000 gallons of flow including the filter and other pump.
I ran FOUR Hydor Koralia Evolution 1150's on a wavemaker in my 125G, until I couldn't put up with the click/clack noise they constantly made on startup. I have 4 Sicce Voyager 3's in the tank now. They're rated 1200GPH each. I have a pair or WP-10's rated at 200-800 GPH and a pair or RW-8's rated at 800-2000GPH in my 40G breeder tank. At 5,600GPH in a 40 gallon tank, I can blow the scales off the fish. .. but I felt sorry for them and slowed the flow rate down a good bit. If my Sicce pumps in the 125 ever need replacing, I'm definitely going to use RW-8's for the additional flow. Heck, I might even move up to the RW-15 (rated @ 400-4000GPH)!!!

trigger40

WOW. thats a lot of flow. yea i did hear the wave makers could get anoying. so you deffinetly think another pump for my 40 is needed.

pegasus

The reason they're noisy on a wavemaker is because the pumps operate on AC current. AC pumps start up in reverse about 50% (+/- 50%) of the time. Hydor ingeniously installed a rubber bumper to catch the blade and "bump" it in the right direction. This is where the noise comes from. For constant, linear flow, these are good pumps. I want turbid, mixed flow as this is better at suspending detritus and eliminating dead spots. I also like to see a grain or two of sand sliding across the bed, as this lets me know nothing is settling there. It's your call on additional powerheads for the 40G, but yeah... you'll need a lot stronger pumps to move water in the 100G. If you get controllable powerheads (such as Jebao RW-8 or even RW-15), you can turn them down to work great in your 40G... and after the 100G is up and running, your powerhead situation is covered.

I have Hydor 1500 and SunSun 1600 for my 100 gallon tank, I don't noticed any of those make any noise, I will add another SunSun 1600 later since everyone in here believe more flow is better.

pegasus

I have Hydor 1500 and SunSun 1600 for my 100 gallon tank, I don't noticed any of those make any noise, I will add another SunSun 1600 later since everyone in here believe more flow is better.
Hydor description:

High flow is very important to maintaining a thriving healthy aquarium. Aquariums with poor flow can experience a number of easily avoidable health issues. Using high flow powerheads in your aquarium will:

• Significantly decrease the risk of algae outbreaks.
  • Keep waste and particles suspended longer so skimmers and filters have a better chance of removing them.
  • Prevent toxic pockets from forming in hard to reach areas.
  • Keep debris from collecting on corals.
  • Keep food suspended longer so you can add less food.
  • Increase the chances of long term healthy tank success.
So yes, high flow is better. And yes... I keep my powerheads on during feeding. Otherwise, food falls behind the rocks and I can't tell if I've put enough food in. The fish seem to enjoy the chasing down the food, too. It's good exercise for them...

trigger40

The reason they're noisy on a wavemaker is because the pumps operate on AC current. AC pumps start up in reverse about 50% (+/- 50%) of the time. Hydor ingeniously installed a rubber bumper to catch the blade and "bump" it in the right direction. This is where the noise comes from. For constant, linear flow, these are good pumps. I want turbid, mixed flow as this is better at suspending detritus and eliminating dead spots. I also like to see a grain or two of sand sliding across the bed, as this lets me know nothing is settling there. It's your call on additional powerheads for the 40G, but yeah... you'll need a lot stronger pumps to move water in the 100G. If you get controllable powerheads (such as Jebao RW-8 or even RW-15), you can turn them down to work great in your 40G... and after the 100G is up and running, your powerhead situation is covered.
thanks! im gona go ahead and get the pumps i need for the 100g and throw one on the 40g for now. do you think the two 1000 gph pumps will be good for the 100g? for this tank i am not taking any chances with ich so everything i buy will be dry. i will add the bacteria from a bottle. but without the lr critters i think i will need the extra flow for my filter.

pegasus

do you think the two 1000 gph pumps will be good for the 100g?
I tried two 1200 gph Sicce Voyager 3's in my 125, but soon realized it wasn't enough. It's a 6' tank, and there were too many dead spots. I added two more a week later, and though it didn't completely rid it of all the dead spots, it made them much smaller. There are now three "low flow" areas in my tank, the middle-front, and each end of the tank. Having 4 pumps made a big difference. Like I mentioned in another post, if the Sicce pumps should happen to die, I'll be replacing them with RW-8's (200-2,000 gph each)... or I might just go wild and move up to the RW-15 (400-4,000 gph each)!

What are the dimensions of your 100? Knowing this will give a better idea of the flow strength you'll need.

pegasus

It'll take strong pumps to get a good flow of water in your 6' tank. I suggest you look at something similar to what I have if you want to keep the water moving throughout the tank. My four Sicce pumps are rated at a total of 4800 gph, but I know they aren't actually moving that much. The flow is too wide on these pumps, so they barely move the water past the middle of the tank. That's why I suggested the RW-8. It's design gives a more concentrated stream, so the flow carries a longer distance. They also come with programmable controllers. If you are only planning on using two powerheads, I suggest getting a pair of RW-15's. You want the water to move like it does in a natural reef, not like a goldfish bowl...