Crushed Coral

carrie1429

Imo live sand is better. The cc can raise the nitrate levels as any uneaten food or waste can get in the cc. Also I think the sand looks nicer, and you have to clean thr cc.

chsreef

Is there a best way to add live sand? I already have 35 lbs of live rock, pearl scaled butterfly, 4 damsels, 1 scooter blenny, 2 camel shrimp, and 6 turbo snails.

st3

fine aragonite is the best choice for your tank. crushed coral is nice and looks natural also but will just give you problems down the road. eg nitrates

st3

make sure if it is aragonite that you wash it in a bucket first or you will be seeing a pretty cloudy tank for weeks. do not wash if you r adding live sand! i would suggest that you take out all your live critters and put all your lr in a bucket with a bit of your tank water and it should be fine. pull out the cc and dump in your substrate. and your substrate levels should be usually around 4 inches deep so all your fish and crustaceans will be happy. plus some good bacteria only grows where there is on air or oxygen. hope this helps .

marty

A couple thoughts before you do anything... 1) If you are planning on adding live sand to your current cc, keep in mind that the cc will work its way to the top and you might not like the appearance. I started with cc and added a bag of live sand. After awhile, the cc was making the substrate look ugly. I finally broke down and did a massive switch to a dsb. I definately like it better, plus everyone says it is better.
2) Are you having a NitrAte problem? If not, and you do not mind the maintenace of vacuuming the cc and doing routine water changes (which should be done anyway), you may not need to switch. I have read on this board several times that cc was not a problem for some folks. My tank did not have any problems that I could tell, I just wanted to switch to a sand look.
Hope this helps!

tankstolove

It is my personal rule of thumb that cc is for fish only systems and sand is for reef systems.
Both serve there purpose in each system, though cc in a reef is far to much maintanece in ditritious removal verses sand. Though I have never put cc in a reef.
<b>Favorite Method:<b>
Basically, I would switch the substrate half bottom at a time. Move your rock to one side of the tank. Use a python venturi siphon fill it half way cover the bottom with your hand and put substrate in a rubber maid container that you've submerged for this reason, removal of the substrate. Repeat until one half of the bottom is cleear of substrate. Add your live sand to the bottom and replace the rock.
Wait 3 weeks and repeat procedure on the other side of the tank. Then your done and you have a new look, avoiding any ammonia spike.
I think it should be done this way because it is the easiest overall. No extra containers needed, no water perameter changes. The bio bed is not removed completely at once, only half and given time to establish again before removing the other half.
I your case you have live rock so it shouldn't be a problem though why guess, if you can be sure especially with a butterfly inhabitant.
Good keeping!

fshhub

i would be real careful in doing a change, you have an angel in such a young tank, they are too delicate to mess with,
so if you are gonna make the switch, i would do so a very small bit at a time, so as to not upset your biofilter too much, the last thing you want with a butterfly is a recycle or even a mini cycle, anything that may result in a spike, hwoever, if your tank is doin fine and you have a butterfly(or any delicate fish) i would go with the attitude:if it aint broke, dont fix it

I too, have had crushed coral for 5 yrs. with little problem. Yes, you can have a succesful reef thank with it. But, after all this time, I have come to despise vacuuming out the tank twice a month. It has become a cumbersome chore rather than a good experience. There are spots that you can never reach with the vacuum, and I have done complete overhauls on my tank when I move. I recently moved to Oklahoma, took all the rock out, and did a major cleaning before I set it back up. I did not wash the crushed coral out, that would destroy the beneficial bacteria, but I did do a good vacuum though. You would be astounded at the "crap" that makes it's way under your live rock.

dgenr8

Originally posted by chsreef:
<strong> I already have 35 lbs of live rock, pearl scaled butterfly, 4 damsels, 1 scooter blenny, 2 camel shrimp, and 6 turbo snails.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Looks like you are doing a FOWLR. In this case, the only downside to a CC substrate is the amount of maintenance it takes to keep it clean. You can vacuume it and then go back 2 mins later and pull out more muck. Stuff builds up in CC, there is no avoiding it, you can only do your best to keep up with it. This takes WORK :( I don't want to look at what I do with my tank as WORK.
Lots of people have mentioned sand beds and DSB (Deep Sand Beds) Aside from the appearance of a DSB, you can stock your tank with critters to do the WORK of maintaining your substrate for you! For that alone, what could be better than a DSB??
Top that with the fact that a DSB is a very effective means of filtration, and you have the best of both worlds!
When I was deciding on if I was going to remove my CC and go DSB, these links are what made my decision a simple one.
<a href="http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html" target="_blank">http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_shimek_090698.html</a>
<a href="http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm" target="_blank">http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm</a>
<a href="http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html" target="_blank">http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html</a>
Good luck!

I have to disagree on one point, jeffandnance,
Although good circulation and water changes are needed, vacuuming is also a must for a cc substrate.
I have and emporer 400, skilter 250 (I removed the skimmer part of it, and just run the filter, three power heads - 290 gph, 180 gph, 120 gph. I also have a prizm skimmer.
That's about 1240 gph running through my 55 gallon tank. Comes up to about 22 turnovers per hour if it was filled with nothing but water. With all the live rock, substrate, etc., it is more to the tune of 30 or more turnovers.
Yet the substrate still must be vacuumed quite often. Oh yeah, I have hermit crabs, emerald crabs, snails, a cucumber and a starfish, as my cleanup crew. They are always munching on something down there.

bassmaster

I'm gonna put it simple for you...
DON'T GET CRUSHED CORAL!!! I have it and it sucks. I'll be switching to sand in a few day and I can't wait. Not only does it help get rid of nitrates, but it looks a ton better. Plus, because of the reduced nitrates, you won't have as much icky algae to deal with. So take the people's advice and switch to sand.

ruaround

I would definatley have to agree with Sea Wraith! I ve had CC in a FOWLR and a Reef for over 7 years. I just recentely (in Feb) put a sand bed in my reef...not a DSB, just 2 to 3 inches. I really havent seen any difference between the two, other than aestetics. The sand looks better, IMO, but I know people who think that CC looks better. Just use what you wanna use, and do what works for you...just my .02 :D

peasly1

some say cc is ok w/ no problems,I disagree but that is only my opinion w/ experience in both.CC would be ok w/ a very small amount of fish and often cleaning.The thought of using an ugf w/ cc makes my head spin,why put yourself through it if there is an easier way..this hobby is very easy to get frustrated with as it is. I had cc and a ugf in my 125,changed to a dsb w/ a berlin skimmer and not only did my nitrates drop,(after about 6 weeks) but I could see a difference in the way my fish looked and acted..I did the same in my 10 gal and now there is very little trace of nitrate..both tanks I did not change the way I feed or do water changes..not only does it look better but its alot less work.I dont regret using the cc because it taught me about good maintance but I doubt I would ever use it again, and if I was just starting this hobby I would definitly wish someone would tell me about the benifits of the dsb against cc..just my opinion...hth

broomer5

People run tanks successfully with no substrate, crushed coral, live sand, dead sand, silica sand, playsand, puka shells, aragonite sand, aragnoite mixed shell hash, black volcanic sand and any mixture of the above.
There are benefits of each.
There are downsides to each.
Depending on your point of view, what you've read, what you've seen other's use, what you prefer and what you have in your own tank, will influence what you think is best.
I'd rather see a properly stocked tank with crushed coral than an overstocked tank with a sandbed. There are a lot of factors that contribute to a well established, properly balanced, functioning saltwater tank.
I'm a big fan of using a DSB.
I've used CC and shell hash before.
I prefer DSB's