crystal clear water

E

erionracer

My water is very clear but it does not have that crystal clear look that I have seen in fish stores; how can I acheive this look? My current setup is a 90gal tank with a 900 power jet and a 350 magnum filter system.

M

moatdaddy

are you using ro/DI water, also thats what uv sterilizers say they do. dont know though i can never get mine crystal clear.

T

thomas712

Mine is clear but never crystal clear exactly, unless I use the canister filter with carbon and polyfilter. But then again there will always be fish, snails and crabs in my system stirring up things so that's pretty much how it goes.

db

There are a number of things that give you crystal clear water; RO Water, High Quality Skimmer, Carbon, and frequent water changes. All of the above are important, but one of the most important thing is a good skimmer and I noticed you didn't mention having one. Pretty important piece of equipment in this hobby.

E

erionracer

Originally Posted by DB
There are a number of things that give you crystal clear water; RO Water, High Quality Skimmer, Carbon, and frequent water changes. All of the above are important, but one of the most important thing is a good skimmer and I noticed you didn't mention having one. Pretty important piece of equipment in this hobby.

Just picked up a skimmer tonight

jakebtc

only time i've noticed mine is CRYSTAL CLEAR is while i have the carbon bag dipped in it for a couple days

irishsalt

Sup ErionRacer -
I'm no expert by any means but I haven't killed ANYTHING since Starting in this Hobby 1&1/2 years ago and my current 29 Gallon tank gets MUCH praise and slightly dropped jaws from Veteran Saltwater gurus...
Anyway, When I first setup my tank I was running an Eclipse(bio-wheel) hood with Carbon filtration. My water was always crystal clear which in hindsight I'd definitley attribute to the water *polishing* qualities of Carbon. I've always had around 1.5lbs per gallon of gorgeous LR in the tank and a relatively thin sandbed(Agroalive). I swtiched to a AquaC Remora Pro and while I was amazed how much vile filth the Skimmer took outta the tank, my water still didn't have that polished crystal clear look. So, I addded the Pre-filter box that it came with and some Black Diamond Carbon, 24 hours later my water was blindinly clear.
So, IME nothing *polishes* water like Carbon and a High quality Skimmer.*End Disertation*...lol. Again, the water was still VERY clear with just the Protein Skimmer but just not jawdropping clear.

saltfan

I use an Ocean Clear with a 25micron filter with carbon in it at all times, you would be amazed at what this will accomplish.

irishsalt

Originally Posted by SaltFan
I use an Ocean Clear with a 25micron filter with carbon in it at all times, you would be amazed at what this will accomplish.

Hey bro,
If you tried to *quanitfy* it, what difference have you seen before/after the Micron Filter w/carbon? Like 20% or 10% more clear etc? Do you think the micron filter is filtering out lots of beneficials?

saltfan

Originally Posted by IrishSalt
Hey bro,
If you tried to *quanitfy* it, what difference have you seen before/after the Micron Filter w/carbon? Like 20% or 10% more clear etc? Do you think the micron filter is filtering out lots of beneficials?
I have a BIO FIlter for the beneficials. Before I used the micron filter, there was always floating things in the tank. But hmm, quantify it....... Gotta be more like 50% to 75% better than it was after I hooked up the canister. Mine is FOWLR, not reef so.....But Sump in the making, I'll let you know what the difference is after this is installed with no canister. But, the canister is running off a 1500gph pump at a loss of not much at 4' with no angles. So, thats where I stand.

tropills

If you can get a hold of a D1 diatom filter those things are incrediable for polishing your water , add some carbon along with the powder and man what a nice job