cured rock = faster cycle?

ndtechie05

is this true? i was told this yesterday from the pet store. i have a 75gallon tank i just started up, put 2 damsels in it and i was told that if i added 15lbs of their cured rock it would cycle in a day, i also put in bacteria. i mgoing to buy the rock tomorrow becuase i have a purple tang on the way coming in thurs/friday.
thanks!

viper_930

It will not cycle in a day with 15 lbs of cured LR. It may still take 2-3+ weeks because the sand is not from an established tank and 15 lbs of LR isn't much for a 75 gallon tank.
I'd also recommend you bring those damsels back. It is very inhumane to put livestock through a cycle. If we can put livestock in the tank so early, then what is the point of having a cycle period? Instead of the damsels, you can use shrimp (dead) like the kind we eat. Just drop a few in the tank and they will decompose and start the cycle.

sula

You've got a purple tang coming this week? Where you planing on putting him right in the tank?

ndtechie05

the gravel is from a cycle tank, i had the tank down for about a year with water in it i just cleaned everything, yes i was planning on putting the tang in right away, i got it for a very good deal and i was going on the advice of the guy with the cured rock and such.

sula

Do you have any test kits - any way to determine whether you have started a cycle with those damsels?

thedraven

Youre learning a hard lesson. Your tank wont be cycled by the time the tang arrives. Always do plenty of research before making livestock decisions. You basically just got a really good deal on a dead fish.
Take some time to read about cycling. Then worry about stocking. Good luck.

B

big911dog

after you take the damsels back, dont go back to that LFS. they're in it to take ur money and are giving you bad advice...