Curing Live Rock

elton092982

If you remove live rock from a tank and have it out for over n hr do you have to do the whole recuring process or can you just add it to your new tank?

prime311

If it sat out for an hour I'm not sure I'd want to risk it. You can throw it in a tub with a heater, powerhead, and some water from your tank for a day or two and see if you get an ammonia spike.

elton092982

I stuck it in last night actually I figured the rock wouldnt be completly dead in an hr also it was only 1 big piece that was put in the rest is in saltwater downstairs

prime311

Well just keep a close eye on your levels and be ready to add some lock products and/or to do some emergency water changes if you get a spike.

elton092982

how would i keep the rest of that rock alive just by having it in saltwater isnt enough? it needs to be heated to 78 deg' and also have flow?

prime311

The important stuff like bacteria will still be alive in the rock. Even if the rock were totally dead(which it won't be) it would be reseeded by the rock already in your tank now. The only thing that will totally die off in that hour is any corals, hitchhikers, algae, sponge, etc... that were on/in the rock. To keep LR alive it needs heat and saltwater, the flow I don't think is necessary but it helps.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by prime311
http:///forum/post/2610755
The important stuff like bacteria will still be alive in the rock. Even if the rock were totally dead(which it won't be) it would be reseeded by the rock already in your tank now. The only thing that will totally die off in that hour is any corals, hitchhikers, algae, sponge, etc... that were on/in the rock. To keep LR alive it needs heat and saltwater, the flow I don't think is necessary but it helps.
The issue is that the dying worms, pods, corals, algaes, sponges, etc. can cause an Ammonia spike. In an already established tank this can be deadly.