curing liverock

dlauber

I read this somewhere
"If the rock is small enough or your toilet is big enough. Put it in the upper chamber. Think of all the water changes it will receive in 1 day"
Im not sure if the guy was serious or not...
But would that work, or are there other steps needed to make it work?
or is it just bull
also I was wondering what it really takes to kill live rock, what can it stand up to? Is there any specific thing you should not do to live rock for risk of killing it?

rdhanley

Only Problem With The Toilet Theory Is The Water Would Be Freshwater. You Need Saltwater To Cure The Live Rock In. Cured Live Rock Means The Reading All Show Zero.
Curing Live Rock Is The Process Of Cleaning All The Bad Stuff Off Of The Rock.

rdhanley

Originally Posted by Dlauber
I read this somewhere
"If the rock is small enough or your toilet is big enough. Put it in the upper chamber. Think of all the water changes it will receive in 1 day"
or is it just bull
also I was wondering what it really takes to kill live rock, what can it stand up to? Is there any specific thing you should not do to live rock for risk of killing it?
LIVE ROCK NEEDS TO BE SUBMERGED IN SALTWATER AT ALL TIMES TO PREVENT KILLING THE ROCK.

dlauber

#8 10-03-2005, 05:54 PM
pbienkiewi
If the rock is small enough or your toilet is big enough. Put it in the upper chamber. Think of all the water changes it will receive in 1 day
#9 10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
n2deep
thats a good Idea!!
#10 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM
TheGrog
Just be sure your girlfriend does not put in a chlorine toilet cleaner tab into the toilet tank.....trust me on this one!!! Lost a few good peices.
#11 10-03-2005, 11:37 PM
ThaNgBom
yupper no clorine.. and it's good to know that someone read my tiolet idea...
#12 01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Schadiest1
garf.org suggests soaking the rocks in white vinegar for 12 hours before puting them into fresh water.
thats a section taken from another thread
but apparently theres people who think differently, unless they werent being serious. They sounded serious.

dogstar

The conversation in the thread your refering to is how to cure DIY rock....its not live rock, but rock that people make themselfs out of cement.....cureing it in freshwater allows the chemicals ect. to leach out so that its safe for a tank. After cureing and placeing it in a display tank and then cycleing, the hope is that then it will become live and the points that were made here ring true for live rock as in the term you included in the title of this thread.

ocellaris_keeper

Originally Posted by Dlauber
I read this somewhere
or is it just bull
silliest thing I've ever read. Don;t try this - the animals on your live rock really don't like fresh water.
Just put it in a hospital tank with a power head, a heater and no lights for a week and you should be good to go.