Curing LR

cosmo

Guys, Can you give me ideas on curing LR? How long? Light on/off? Water changes? I have it in a curing tank now with an air pump and no light.
thanks
cosmo

majakarot

i agree w/ keeping the light off, but i would switch the air pump for a powerhead to get good water movement through the rock
do a hefty water change about every week, the instructions i got w/ my rock said 50%weekly
i just tested my trites and let the tank cycle, once the cycle was complete i added about 10lbs a week to the main tank
hth

T

thomas712

Curing Live Rock
Curing rock is easier than you may think. First of all, beware that it is a standard practice for dealers to claim rock is "cured" or "pre-cured", when in reality you'll still need to cure it yourself. This applies to all rock that has not spent a few weeks in water after import, including "pre-cured" rock. Buyer beware!
What You'll Need
There are no rules here, all you need is a container and circulation. Ideally, you'll be curing your rock in your main aquarium where you already have good circulation and a protein skimmer, but if you already have a tank with fish and corals, you'll need to do it outside of the inhabited tank. A common 30 gallon plastic trash can is an ideal container for curing rock. Any suitable tank, bucket, etc., will do.
Provide Good Circulation
Use a powerhead or water pump for circulation in the container. A large air pump is also good for circulation. The key here is the more the better. The more circulation you provide, the faster it will stabilize and the more life will be preserved.
How Long Does It Take?
That depends on many factors, but a rule of thumb is 2 to 4 weeks. This pertains to "pre-cured" rock as well as "uncured", because it doesn't matter what's supposedly been done to rock while in Fiji, because it's the trip that makes it require curing!. You'd think that the industry wouldn't assume we're dumb enough to fall for that one! Only after rock has been in water for several weeks, after import, will it be "cured"-- or safe for an inhabited tank.
Do I Need a Skimmer or Lighting?
If you have a skimmer, by all means, use it. A skimmer is great to have while curing, and should expedite the process, but it is not an absolute necessity. Most hobbyists curing outside the main tank just use good circulation, but the more filtration you can provide, the better. Lighting while curing is an opinion loaded question, but in general, lighting during curing is recommended. It will fuel algae growth, but will also preserve life on the rock. If you use lighting, no more than a normal day/night period is recommended.
Additional Tips
Just as you'll want to do it in your main tank, place the rocks loosely for good water flow. Do not stack them like brickwork, instead, place them with minimal points of contact. This will allow for the best water flow, ensuring faster better curing. If you're curing in a trash can, etc., you may want to turn and move the rocks every few days so that all surfaces are exposed to good circulation. This is not necessary, but it will help ensure faster curing.
a cut and paste for you
Thomas

majakarot

ok, let me rephrase, if you are using tapwater, then keep the lights off because of algae blooms
if you are using ro then you might not have a problem with lighting, although you should still end up with pretty high nitrates which could still lead to alot of algae
the lack of light won't kill the coraline (not saying it won't kill anything)
maybe you should test for phosphates and trates to make that call
hth