Curing Reef Rock??

R

redviper74

I just bought a 21 pound piece of, it said reef rock, and they said that it will turn into live rock adventually. I just started a tank so I was wondering how I would turn it into live rock? Thanks!

benj420

It will happen naturally on its own as the inner and outer surfaces of it grow bacteria and algae that are in the water and on the LR that is in there. 21 pounds is quite heavy for a single piece of rock, so I wonder if it is solid, or sponge-like. Not soft like a sponge, but has many holes in it like sponges do. If it has the holes, it will act as LR, if it is solid, it will not ever act as LR. Porous is the word I was trying to think of.

R

redviper74

Ok thanks for the information. My lfs has a couple other pieces I want to get with so many pores in it. It actually looked like water could flow through it from one side to the other. Thanks agian!

R

redviper74

Would it be better to cure the live rock in the dark or in light? Thanks!

wax32

Opinions differ. I cured mine in the light. Others say that algae will compete with the bacteria you are trying to develop if you have the lights on.

hot883

Originally Posted by redviper74
Dry
Then you bought base rock. It will get covered in algeas, coraline etc. but will never be "Live rock" per say as suggested above. If you are cycling the tank, you will need to get actual wet live rock from their tanks and you can stack that on top of the dead rock you bought that was dry.

R

redviper74

Is there a place where I can buy uncured live rock and just cure it myself? Because live rock at my lfs is like $6.50 per pound. Thanks!

benj420

uhhhh, I can't post the link because it is competition for this site and they will delete the post, but there is a place that you can get it for about $3 per pound, delivered for a 45 pound box. From this site it is about $4 per pound delivered.

R

redviper74

Thanks for the information! But is there any way you could e-mail the link of where I can get the live rock for $3 a pound? Thanks!

R

redviper74

Does anybody know where I can get live rock for about $3 a pound? If you know where I can get it cheap e-mail it to me at the address above. Thanks!

hot883

Does anybody know where I can get live rock for about $3 a pound? If you know where I can get it cheap e-mail it to me at the address above. Thanks!
Just go to the big auction site.

R

redviper74

Where is the big aution site? I just started a saltwater tank so I am new to all of this.

madison

Any of you heard of these sayings?
For you ladies out there: There are many little black dresses out there but there's only one that make me feel sexy.
For you man out there: This is my rifle, there's many out out there but there's no one like mine...or something like that :)
That's how you should approach shopping for LR's or base rocks....they all look so different but yet the same...you should get the ones that make your tank look just right

You might end up paying more...but it will be so worth it in the end when you tank turns out just right

Just don't make a common mistake by buying in bulk sight unseen...you might just end up with 500lbs of LR's all the same size...it's almost impossible to aquascape to your satisfaction and still have decent flow with no natural looks, caves and canvern to house your fish
Put it this way...my most favorite piece of LR is about 75lbs with 8 different "shelves" :cheer:
Keep in mind every piece of corals you add will also come on a piece of rock...if you decorated your tank with LR's already to your liking before you add corals...it might look too full later...
sorry...so long

stanlalee

Is there a place where I can buy uncured live rock and just cure it myself? Because live rock at my lfs is like $6.50 per pound. Thanks!
There's a reason your LPS charges $6-7/lb and to me its worth every extra penny.
A) you can HAND SELECT each peice and get the exact rock you want (or not want). Every rock in my tank is covered with purple and green coralline algae and the size I want it to be. Why because if it wasn't I picked it up and placed it back in the tank.
B) if your LPS is any good they'll have a tank with completely cured rock with proper lighting, water temp ect (as well as a tank for curing rock). Bring a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater and all I have to do with liverock from the LPS is 5 minutes worth of scraping (with flathead screwdriver) and spraying off (with saltwater) whatever dead matter didn't fall off it while curing. I can then place it directly in my tank. You cant do that with any shipped liverock unless its shipped submerged in saltwater directly after coming out a curing tank. From what I understand even the LPS recieves their liverock only wrapped in damp plastic, not submerged in water. my LPS has excellent quality live rock and excellent curing set up and I dont have to guess.
C) I only have to buy what I need. Most times with online liverock the cheaper prices only come with a minimum order or you pay more for the rock, more for shipping or they wont even sell it to you.
D) Unwanted hitchhickers have never been a problem from the local pet store. Can you say the same about 50lbs of rock randomly thrown in a box.
So yeah I may have paid twice as much per lb but I am not paying for 10lbs of rock I dont need, 10lbs thats the wrong size, 10lbs thats poor quality and 10lbs that is no longer growing anything. The few online places that do ship rock submerged and advocate placing it directly in the tank often charge nearly as much as buying local.