Curious $$ amount

Recently I took a trip to my not so Local FS and they have a nice 125. it is $399 and she told me she would knock off 50 bucks. I have a 120 but I kind of inherited it so as far as price goes, i am a fish out of water. Is that a good deal or am I being shammed?

browniebuck

is it just for the tank or is it a combo type deal (hood, stand, filter, etc...). If it is a combo deal, then I would say it is a good deal, if it is only for the glass, I would say to check other areas for used equipment (if you do a little searching, you can find the tank alone for $150-$250).

B

bonita69

If it comes with a wood stand then I would say yes on a new tank. But like the others you can shop around and get a whole set up for about used with good lights. Graiglist Great boards!

m0nk

I guess another question would be: is this tank reef ready and come w/overflows? If so, then yes, this is an average price, even without the stand. A brand new 125 RR would run around $385 at my LFS (I have a copy of their entire pricing guide for all tanks), but a non-drilled tank would be $255.
The stand for that size is $200.

Darn. I just checked Craig's list within a 300 mile radius and all the tanks are priced highly as well avg 50g runs$ 400 avg 125 runs $1100.

browniebuck

Originally Posted by The Egregious
http:///forum/post/2496486
Darn. I just checked Craig's list within a 300 mile radius and all the tanks are priced highly as well avg 50g runs$ 400 avg 125 runs $1100.
Those have to be with everything included (some may even include livestock, live rock, live sand, etc...)...I can't imagine anyone trying to sell them used for that high of a price.

browniebuck

WOW!!! I am glad that I live in Ohio (I always thought that aquarium stuff was cheaper closer to the ocean...not quite sure why I thought that, though).

browniebuck

I don't know where you are in Oregon, but I located a few in Portland that were 100+ and were very reasonable (tank, stand, filters, heater, powerheads, sump systems w/ plumbing) for $500 to $700

browniebuck

160 gallon (60" X 24" X 26") with Metal Halide lighting (500W), filter/sump, canopy, powerhead, magnet cleaner, etc...$650

ikemeyer

for an all-glass, its overpriced. I would negotiate some more. Personally, I would start at $250 for a standard 125 tank if its bare bones since they are going to make a whole bunch more on accessories such as filtration, lights, stands, etc...
I would do more research and shop around.
just my $0.02

I might have missed one somewhere along the lines :(. But for the most part they look kind of overpriced. In addition, I am really only looking for a bare bones tank I don't even need a stand or hood or any filters, lighting, etc. I mean I would be very pleased if I could find one for 200-250-300 range. I just feel like if I can save the possible 50 to 100 bucks I would like to do that as apposed to going to my local fish store. As for Nina&Noah, what do you mean Try *Bay?? I am confused

Thank you all for your help so much in the matter :)

bennyhill

yes i knew the diff lol but thanks ..i ment to say y spend the money only to get 5 more gals when you could find some people with 150 -165 + 4 a little more save the money ... just my thought.

sh2000

I paid $350 for my 120 and $350 for my stand it was a perfecto with a corner overflow and a nice stand. from my lfs..it included a 6 hour instalation.and them carrying it up 25 stairs and leveling it etc...