curly Q anemone

wilson2

I have this little curly Q's (I think) the arms have horizontal white stripes, and i was told that meant they werent the nuscince (sp?) apitisia (sp?) kind. they are spreading like a wildfire, will they hurt my corals or anything?

ninjamini

apitisia
they are spreading like a wildfire - they do that.
will they hurt my corals or anything - they will sting everything so that they can grow.
Get some calcium powder and make a thick paste. They get a eye dropper like from a test kit and accurately feed it to them. Be ready with fresh water to change water.
Feed it to them. they will close around it then pancake more of it on top of them. They you have one dead pest.
be warned. this method will have clumps of calcium float all over the place. 1. turn off flow. 2. have airliine hose and create suction to suck the pieces that float about. Thats where the fresh water comes it. You will have to do this 1-3 times as you find more. It works great and its cheap.
good luck

wilson2

i thought some types of these were good, like the curly Qs they sell on this site. if they are aptisia, aren't there some things that will eat them or something?

wilson2

ok, they arent curly q, judging by the pic on here. but the lfs guy said as long as they have horizontal white bands on the tentacles they are ok.???

ninjamini

Originally Posted by wilson2
but the lfs guy said
his job is to sell you stuff. Come here for advice.

kelly

The Curlique Anemone (Bartholomea annulata), also known as the Trumpet or Rock Anemone, is a member of the Aiptasiidae family. They are found in the Mediteranean, and Eastern Atlantic Ocean, most common from Plymouth to the Gulf of Guinea. The body is opague amber with yellowish-white spots. The tentacles turn a brown to brown/violet as they go away from the body, are translucent and have spots.
The Curlique Anemone is normally found singly, but in quiet, shallow water, they may reproduce by cross division and form colonies in the summer. They prefer to live hidden in rock crevices and under stone overhangs. Be sure to supply these in the aquarium.
The Curlique Anemone is a carnivore, and will consume fish, mussels and crustacean meat. Offer a high quality frozen carnivore preparation, as well as fresh, chopped fish. Iodine, and trace elements should also be added to the tank for the Curlique Anemone to thrive.

kelly

Wilson2,
I had one years ago, they do not reproduce like aipstasia, mine over the few years the I had it, multiplied once or twice. Their sting is rather destructive to other corals though. Once thy find 'their place' in the tank, they do not move around. If you like it, keep it, if it starts to multiply, than go ahead and nuke it.
Best wishes,
Kelly