Current 30" PC lighting converted to T5 HO

deltablack22

I would like to upgrade the PC fixture with T5 HO lighting like I have on my other tank. I would assume all that I would have to do is upgrade the light fittings/brackets and maybe the ballast? The fixture is already wired and all, but I really dont know where to start. Any suggestions?

scsinet

Provided the lamps fit that should work okay.
The only thing you'll need to change is that PCs have all of their wiring on one side of the lamp,but T5 has wiring on both sides, so you'll need to extend the wires.
Yes, you'll need to replace the ballast.

mmm33732

wait... so you can use t5s in a PC fixture if you just use the t5 end caps and redo the wiring? the pc ballasts will work with the t5s?

deltablack22

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Provided the lamps fit that should work okay.
The only thing you'll need to change is that PCs have all of their wiring on one side of the lamp,but T5 has wiring on both sides, so you'll need to extend the wires.
Yes, you'll need to replace the ballast.
So I could just extend the wiring and buy a T5 ballast, endcaps, and bulbs? Do you know a good source for these items? The reason I'm trying to do this is posted in this thread:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/286041/help-frag-tank-decline

scsinet

wait... so you can use t5s in a PC fixture if you just use the t5 end caps and redo the wiring? the pc ballasts will work with the t5s?

No, we said you WOULD have to replace the ballast.
If you replace the lamps, ballast, and encaps, all that remains is the wires.