Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixtures?????

hughes07

i was wondering if this lighting system would be good for corals and also clams in a 20 gallon. i know its not a metal halide light but i was just wondering. here are the details of it.
"Create the ultimate dawn to dusk effect with the pro-grade, Orbit. It packs the SunPaq Dual Daylight (10,000K & 6,700K), the Dual Actinic (460nm & 420nm) and the Lunar Light together in one sleek, fan-cooled fixture. Offering the leading technologies in one 24-hour lighting system that gives you one small step to take for a gigantic leap in performance."
Also it says the wattage is 2 x 65w.

alohami

I have that same fixture, only in a smaller size. I do really like it, but you are going to be rather limited with what you can keep. It would be ok for soft corals, but you will not have enough to support the more light intensive corals. Clams would definately be out of the question.
You may want to look into another system that Orbit makes called the "Outer Orbit". It is basically the same as what you are looking at, but also includes a metal halide fixture. This one should be strong enough to support at least some species of clams.
The Outer Orbit is about $100.00 or so more than the one you are looking at, but it would be more reasonable in the long run. A lot of people (myself included) buy something to save a little money now but end up upgrading later.

hughes07

ok that sounds good. i just didn't know which one to consider getting. i was trying to do the whole "save as much money as you can" type of thing, but im just going to want to upgrade later there is really no point. thanks for the advice.

slammy16

I have the PC 48" i just started in this i asked the same question the other day . Everyone said soft corals and anemones but no clams. I was on a website the other day and it had the MH version for the 48" for almsot double what i payed for the PC unit.
THe man in the lfs said i could have clams but, i wasnt sure if i believed him, then i come in here and everyone said no clams.

hughes07

slammy,
ive asked the same question on here about the lighting a clam would need. everyone has responded with a metal halide fixture. but i wasn't sure if i had enough lighting with the pc if it could somehow work. i am just trying to save money. yes metal halides are very expensive. thats why i was going to resort in the pc but now im not to sure. i just want a clam

hydro

its a pc orbit....the moonlites are the best feature....at night u can see all kinds of worms and other organisms all over the lr.... i can sit for hours and whatch it... in my opinion its the best $220 i spent on the tank......well worth the money

zenway9

hydro,
i just picked one of these up (same as yours). do you have any anemones? is this lighting system good for corals and anemones? let me know what you think.