Current VS Coralife MH/PC Combo

phoenixfla

I am looking at the Current and the Coralife 72" 3x150MH & 4x96WCP. I see that Current incorporates the ballast in the hood and Coralife uses external ballasts. Which is better? I would think that esternal would be more desirable since it would be less heat in the hood and also it would be easier to replace a ballast if necessary?
What do you guys think? What are the other differences?
This will be for a 125g tank. Depth is 22"

techrider6

Must people use 250 or 400 watt setups.But for people like me that want a reef tank
but can not aford the big energy bill i like the current orbit usa.
techrider62

spafeature

I'm thinking of getting the 48"
Right now i have 2 48" PC--no MH.....I cant beleive the LFS guy talked me into that.

phoenixfla

Originally Posted by techrider6
Must people use 250 or 400 watt setups.But for people like me that want a reef tank
but can not aford the big energy bill i like the current orbit usa.
techrider62
The way I understand it, you only need 250s or 400s on deeper tanks. My tank is only 22"
Anyone?

rubberduck

i have the 48inch mh pc fixture and i appsolutly love it. great growth look and the whole package. i would give it a 9.5 because for my tank 150 watt bulbs are more than enough but i would go with a 250 watt for bigger tanks. i think they recently came out with the 250 watt. so thats my vote. CORALIFE.

kingspade

same here, i am looking at the same systems, so far from what ive read and heard i am going to be going with the coralife most likely. i like the idea of the external ballasts myself as i am not planning on running a chiller if i dont have to, thinking i can just adjust my heater accordingly.

jumpfrog

I went with current and love it. No heat problems. The internal fans do a great job.
Quiet and easy to maintain.