Custom Aquarium Furniture...

snakeblitz33

Hello all...
So, I have been doing some thinking and I would like ya'lls opinion on custom aquarium stands...
I know most hobbyists don't really want to build their own aquarium stands and would much rather pay for a pre-made one from the fish store - however, what if someone offered to build a custom aquarium stand to fit within your space that has all of the features that you want?
For example... an aquarium stand that has these features:
1. polyurethane inside and outside for waterproofing
2. a sealed bottom for overflows - just in case the sump overflowed, the stand could hold lets say 10 or more gallons of water.
3. Door open light - where when you opened a door, a light would come on so that you could see the inside of the sump.
4. Frosted glass cabinet doors with LED backlights
5. A side panel built in for electrical switches that turn off electrical GFCI outlets built INTO the stand... the electrical cords would come out the back
6. 1" of styrofoam insulation all around the inside of the stand that is covered with plywood. To help with temperature - could even build NPS tank stands and canopies with additional insulation.
7. Ventilation system with humidity and temperature control
8. Hidden Storage..
9. internal shelves for chemicals and dry foods
10. Bottom drains...
11. Childproofing / locks
12. Have a "floating wood top" where I have a 1" styrofoam block underneath a "floating" wooden top where the aquarium sits - it can level itself out easier and be on a hard surface.
etc. etc.
What if you could pick from the list of all the custom features that you want....or add to it as you want...
For canopies...
1. Ventilation systems with temp and humidity controls
2. Painted and polyurethane'd ********
3. Aluminum light racks on tracks so that you can pull the light system out easily to replace the bulbs and do work.
4. Pneumatic lifts on the heavier canopies that will help you lift the canopy up and keep it up while you are working
5. Hidden compartments
6. Ballast compartment and ventilation
7. etc.
Equipment cabinets...
Basically the same things as listed for the stand if needed. Or the cabinet itself can be built into the stand.
Anyways, Would you pay for these features? If you had the money, would you pay for a custom cabinet to be built? What could I add or do differently? Is there any feature that I listed that is stupid and should be removed? Any brilliant features that I should keep? Likes / dislikes?

S

smallreef

YES!.. actually I do build my own stands.. and prefer a nice ply veneered wood but many similar attributes as you have listed.. just takes a few tries to decide on everything you need in a stand, lol... this will be my 3rd build and NOW I will do everything right!
I think if you could market yourself and have enough LFS's to use your name you could do well at it (assuming you have good carpentry skills and good tools)
The only things to list in the offerings are additional stains/sealings, thats about it, you covered everything and anything I could think of.

S

smallreef

OH a good one would be to say "can make your fish tank stand complimentary to any furniture already in your room"
If you could have market yourself as a furniture maker who ALSO makes stands you may have a larger niche too....(assuming you could make other furniture pieces.. end tables/bookcases in a similar style and such)

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476237
YES!.. actually I do build my own stands.. and prefer a nice ply veneered wood but many similar attributes as you have listed.. just takes a few tries to decide on everything you need in a stand, lol... this will be my 3rd build and NOW I will do everything right!
I think if you could market yourself and have enough LFS's to use your name you could do well at it (assuming you have good carpentry skills and good tools)
The only things to list in the offerings are additional stains/sealings, thats about it, you covered everything and anything I could think of.
Lol, I thought that would go without saying! I would have a "pick your stain, pick your wood, pick your style, Pick your features." kind of thing going on.
I have quite a few LFS's that I could drive to in the area that I am in. I also know quite a few people in the industry. There's always internet advertising and some magazine print ads.
I have mad carpentry and electrical skills - I just have to have the funds to do it. My personal tank stand that I built should have had all of those features that I listed - but I just didn't have the funds to do it when I built it.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476238
OH a good one would be to say "can make your fish tank stand complimentary to any furniture already in your room"
If you could have market yourself as a furniture maker who ALSO makes stands you may have a larger niche too....(assuming you could make other furniture pieces.. end tables/bookcases in a similar style and such)
That is a great idea! "I can match your existing furniture." is a great idea..... and a good niche.
Yeah, I can make just about any cabinet, end table, book cases and such. I just cant do upholstry for chairs.

acrylic51

Seth very good ideas and concepts.....We've spoken and I've done quite a few jobs like that and the one we talked about the other evening was on the exact lines of everything being custom done to match existing furniture.....The clients mortgage on the house was $7500 a month.....so there wasn't any skimping room for error on my part.......
All those things you listed are dead on as to what you typically won't find in a "shelf system". Electrical panels being a big issue in my mind......Most just run surge protectors and call it a day, where you've hit upon willing to do a dedicated panel.....Not super time consuming, and you can take it a step further and use switches to isolate certain outlets on your control panel.....Meaning that the control panel could be split into 2 power leads, and then they can feed the panel equal amps (per say so the load is split. Should be on 2 different breakers), but the customer could easily flip 1 switch and shut the skimmer pump down so they can remove the collection cup, and then reinstall and flip the switch to fire it back up......Makes life super easy for everyone.....(I'd suggest though labeling the outlets though what it controls).
As far as stands......For a totally sealed bottom to prevent leaks I'd offer the suggestion of using some type of poured epoxy......The poly would do very little for the water seeping through the joints, where as if an epoxy of some sort was poured it will fill all cracks and voids making it totally water tight.......Hidden compartments for misc equipment would also be a nice feature or side access to the stand from 1 end or both possible to make getting to the sump easier in cases.......As far as ballast compartments, I'd definitely recommend keeping them from under the system if at all possible......or seal them off somewhat from possible water, but using a cooling/venting system.......
As far as the canopies all very good thoughts......The lifts get rather expensive though, so that's really custom IMHO........Actuated shocks are another good idea.....Have thought about doing it to my own canopy as well, and love the sliding racks.....makes it easy for bulb changes and maintenance as well if you can get the lights out of the way.......

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476308
All those things you listed are dead on as to what you typically won't find in a "shelf system". Electrical panels being a big issue in my mind......Most just run surge protectors and call it a day, where you've hit upon willing to do a dedicated panel.....Not super time consuming, and you can take it a step further and use switches to isolate certain outlets on your control panel.....Meaning that the control panel could be split into 2 power leads, and then they can feed the panel equal amps (per say so the load is split. Should be on 2 different breakers), but the customer could easily flip 1 switch and shut the skimmer pump down so they can remove the collection cup, and then reinstall and flip the switch to fire it back up......Makes life super easy for everyone.....(I'd suggest though labeling the outlets though what it controls)
I shiver at the thought of some people loading an entire fish tank onto one outlet (that probably also is hooked to every other outlet in the room) via surge protectors.
I ran 3 separate outlets on 3 separate breakers for my fish tank and run surge protectors from those (one outlet is actaull 3 outlets wired together so there are no surgeprotector=s plugged into that one.
the dedicated electric panel built in is a grea tidea IMO. make the stand hardwireable. you can set it up to either plug in or set it up to be wired directly to the panel and breakers. options on however many circuits you want.

acrylic51

That's the big issue....A lot of people don't have the luxury or fore thought of breaking their equipment (tank) up on separate circuits.....I actually have 5 separate circuits for the fish room......1 is a dedicated 220 line that I haven't pulled into the room yet unless I absolutely need it.

gemmy

You guys would be horrified to see how my tank is set up. I live in an apartment and I am at the mercy of how the apartment is wired. I have an old breaker box and older wiring.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476316
You guys would be horrified to see how my tank is set up. I live in an apartment and I am at the mercy of how the apartment is wired. I have an old breaker box and older wiring.
That's why I mentioned about some not having the luxury to alter the wiring.......I'm sure your not over powering or running a bunch of crazy stuff as well Krista......

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476308
Seth very good ideas and concepts.....We've spoken and I've done quite a few jobs like that and the one we talked about the other evening was on the exact lines of everything being custom done to match existing furniture.....The clients mortgage on the house was $7500 a month.....so there wasn't any skimping room for error on my part.......
All those things you listed are dead on as to what you typically won't find in a "shelf system". Electrical panels being a big issue in my mind......Most just run surge protectors and call it a day, where you've hit upon willing to do a dedicated panel.....Not super time consuming, and you can take it a step further and use switches to isolate certain outlets on your control panel.....Meaning that the control panel could be split into 2 power leads, and then they can feed the panel equal amps (per say so the load is split. Should be on 2 different breakers), but the customer could easily flip 1 switch and shut the skimmer pump down so they can remove the collection cup, and then reinstall and flip the switch to fire it back up......Makes life super easy for everyone.....(I'd suggest though labeling the outlets though what it controls).
As far as stands......For a totally sealed bottom to prevent leaks I'd offer the suggestion of using some type of poured epoxy......The poly would do very little for the water seeping through the joints, where as if an epoxy of some sort was poured it will fill all cracks and voids making it totally water tight.......Hidden compartments for misc equipment would also be a nice feature or side access to the stand from 1 end or both possible to make getting to the sump easier in cases.......As far as ballast compartments, I'd definitely recommend keeping them from under the system if at all possible......or seal them off somewhat from possible water, but using a cooling/venting system.......
As far as the canopies all very good thoughts......The lifts get rather expensive though, so that's really custom IMHO........Actuated shocks are another good idea.....Have thought about doing it to my own canopy as well, and love the sliding racks.....makes it easy for bulb changes and maintenance as well if you can get the lights out of the way.......
Yeah, I was thinking that the electrical work would be a main selling point. You have some good ideas - and I have also thought of them. With larger systems, a stand along circuit breaker would be a good idea as well.
You're right - epoxy would be better for waterproofing the inside of a stand - but the cost of doing it might be prohibitive to some people. However, you do make a good point - people that want custom stands don't mind paying the little extra for quality. Side access and hidden compartments are excellent ideas. I have always thought that cabinet doors on the sides of the tank has always been a good idea.
The canopy lift concept is actually actuated shocks. Cheaper - but just as effective. Aluminum sliding light racks are a freakin' awesome idea - and something that I wish to do on my next system.
One of the main features that I like - that may come standard with all of my stands is the door open light. I wish I had one on my stand right now - and may even experiment with it soon.

snakeblitz33

By the way, I was thinking of another feature that I would like some feedback on...
How about a couple of those electrical outlets have programmable timers as their switches? The outlets could be used for refugium lights and a protein skimmer.
The cabinet door on the side of the stand could also hide a controller/monitor as well as the switches.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476351
Yeah, I was thinking that the electrical work would be a main selling point. You have some good ideas - and I have also thought of them. With larger systems, a stand along circuit breaker would be a good idea as well.
You're right - epoxy would be better for waterproofing the inside of a stand - but the cost of doing it might be prohibitive to some people. However, you do make a good point - people that want custom stands don't mind paying the little extra for quality. Side access and hidden compartments are excellent ideas. I have always thought that cabinet doors on the sides of the tank has always been a good idea.
The canopy lift concept is actually actuated shocks. Cheaper - but just as effective. Aluminum sliding light racks are a freakin' awesome idea - and something that I wish to do on my next system.
One of the main features that I like - that may come standard with all of my stands is the door open light. I wish I had one on my stand right now - and may even experiment with it soon.
If you do a little shopping or I can point you to a couple epoxy for your intent and purposes wouldn't be super expensive IMO.....There was actually a build thread over on RC where a guy used an old garage door opener to make a lift for his lighting.....I have it bookmarked somewhere....When I swapped out my garage door opener a while back I kept mine on hand possible to use for that purpose!!!!!!!
The door open; light on function is something I'm considering.....They have all the parts and switches in a kit at WoodCraft. I've been eyeing them.

S

smallreef

WOW.. so seth.. when you coming to Northern Virginia, lol
Some great ideas and I cant wait till you get your first client to see what you can do!
(personally like I said I make my own but in VERY DIY way as I AM NOT a very good carpenter...decent just not expert)

muse1

I have a friend that uses a panel with about 12 different switches. Each switch is for one thing, skimmer, pump, return pump, sea swirl ect. He bought it from a DJ equiptment place. If memory serves me right I think he only paid about 40.00 buck for it. Very cool idea. One flip of a switch, off goes the sea swirl. I'm looking into getting one. No more labeling my cords. Plus it's amazing how you can find a much better price when you look out of the "fish" industry box. We have saved to much money looking for something in a different field as it were.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, i know about those dj powerboxes, but they dOnt have built in gfci's and it would be difficult to really build that into a stand. Im not sure how difficult it would also be to replace it if necessary. Im sure it can be done if requested though. :)
That would be great if you could point me in the direction of that epoxy and the door switch if possible. Thanks acrylic.

snakeblitz33

So, it's official, I am building custom aquarium furniture... Anyone interested can PM me. I don't think that this violates any policies for SWF.com.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391778/custom-aquarium-furniture#post_3476399
Yeah, i know about those dj powerboxes, but they dOnt have built in gfci's and it would be difficult to really build that into a stand. Im not sure how difficult it would also be to replace it if necessary. Im sure it can be done if requested though. :)
That would be great if you could point me in the direction of that epoxy and the door switch if possible. Thanks acrylic.
Could easily be incorporated into a build.....Just build it to fit a compartment and use a remove able face plate to lock it into place, but with the face plate being remove able can easily be replaced......Of course the face plate would have to be fabricated.....
Here's a couple links......By the way stay away from polyester epoxies.....They are bad for you if you don't have the right protective gear.......As a side note you don't need a ton of epoxy to seal something.....You could build your stand frame and put the bottom into the stand and take some epoxy and thicken it with a product I show you and leaning the stand at 45's (using your custom built jigs out of 2x4's) you could pour the thickened epoxy along all the joints......The epoxy will seep into the crevices and with it being thickens as well, and once all the edges are sealed you can set the stand flat as it would sit and pour a thin layer in the center of the stand and tilting it to spread the epoxy around and the epoxy will basically level itself without any help from you.......At that point you'd just need to watch the epoxy pour for air bubbles, and with a propane torch in hand you can easily heat (popping) the bubbles as they rise......Should be very minimal bubbles though.......
Here's a few links......
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html
http://www.masepoxies.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=prodbrws.publicdetail&productid=69471
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/epoxy-resins-and-hardeners
These are the fillers I was referring to that you can add to an epoxy mix to thicken them up a bit.....
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/fillers
Another good resource for certain needs is this place......I know when you click the link you'll think I've lost my marbles, but you'd be surprised....they have good deals on epoxy.....
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do
As far as cabinet lighting.......
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2083477/34079/fabulites-wireless-cabinet-led-light-single-led-white.aspx
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2083477/34080/fabulites-wireless-cabinet-led-light-single-led-black.aspx

jimangela

JIM ’ s Custom Made Furniture World in Shanghai China

WEB: http://www.easterncurio.com

The business that JIM now runs in Shanghai was originally established by his father in Hong Kong. The legacy of this workmanship lies with JIM's father. At age 20, he was apprenticed to a traditional Chinese carpenter in Shanghai and learnt the long-established customs of furniture manufacture and furniture upholstery.

After moving to Hong Kong, he was fortunate to study and work with a master craftsman from France, who specialized in furnitures. This experience allowed him to integrate his knowledge of both Eastern and Western practices, catering to both local and international clients.

When JIM and his family moved to Shanghai seven years ago, the family business came full circle, opening Little Dragon in the city where JIM's father had first learnt the craft of furniture making. JIM has a special affinity for furniture making, having studied classic and modern techniques under father's direction from the age of 16 years. He is genuinely passionate about furniture making (especially furnitures).

Over the last 8 years, our business has grown significantly, due mainly to the glowing referrals we receive from our loyal customers, who enjoy our personalized service and attention to detail. "You can't get a better marketing strategy than word-of-mouth," says owner JIM Wong, who believes the success of our family business is based on the quality of the craftsmanship and service our staff provide. We also believe that detailed hand-finished work provides its own quality assurance and our confidence in this craftsmanship is reflected in our lifetime service guarantee.

All tastes and styles are catered to, as the store offers more than 5,000 quality samples and fabric swatches. An enormous array of options await - smooth leather, luxurious velvet, magnificent satin tapestry designs and comfortable modern fabrics such as cotton-linen blends and ultra-suede.

As upholstery support and padding is dictated by individual taste, customers can choose from a diverse range of filling materials, which are assembled by hand. Specialized workshop processes ensure the quality and quantity of these materials, as they are individually weighed then encased in a special lining fabric.

Customers that choose a made-to-order furniture know just what they want, and that's usually a furniture that will retain its original size, shape and support over the years. Changes in style and taste are easily accommodated with interchangeable and replaceable furniture covers.

Our custom-made furnitures and chairs, of unique design and style, are vivid reflections of the personality and taste of their owners. Like tailor-made clothing, the quality of the design and materials are specifically suited to the end user. Over the last seven years, we've collected an interesting range of anecdotes from our customers, some of whom will go to great lengths to get a Little Dragon furniture into their home.

One client, whose custom-made furniture was too large to fit through his front door, hoisted it through a third floor window via a pulley. Another, having relocated his Little Dragon furniture from Shanghai, to the United States, to Singapore, visited China especially to pick up some soft furnishings from our store. Amongst our high profile customers over the years are some of Hong Kong's premier five-star hotel presidents, business titans, film stars and Shanghai's consul-generals. Perhaps one of our most faithful customers is the legendary Hong Kong actor, Andy Lau, who asked his ******** decorator to work directly with us to complete the design of his entire mansion in Hong Kong.

The repair and restoration of antique furniture is a unique skill that we offer our customers. Our European clients, in particular, have strong recollections of furniture handed down through the ages and appreciate the opportunity to put some life back into family heirlooms which hold such fond memories of those now departed. One French customer, referred by a friend, entrusted us with a armoire that had been in the family for three generations.

Our company's objective is the same as its clients - to retain the integrity of the original craftsmanship and refresh the unique traits of an individual furniture piece. For this reason, JIM's customers can be considered a rather special community as they are willing to come from far and wide to benefit from his unique skill set. The company's integrity and heritage are much like that of the pieces they work on – handed down from father to son and continued throughout the generations. It is no wonder that the business has an international reputation which draws clients from all corners of the globe to Shanghai.

JIM’s Cell Phone in Shanghai: 15801708557

Jimheeren9@gmail.com

WEB: http://www.easterncurio.com

urio/Afurniture/ItemForOn-Selling/A1S170901.JPG" alt="" />