custom new tank (does this look ok to build tell me what you think)

wuelfman

here is the what the local guy has priced for me
is this a good deal?
72x30x24
3/4 inch plastic all the way around (using weldon 16 or 3 is this strong enough?) how thick is a 180 tank?
black background
with around around a 4 inch lip+ brace around the top (will this be strong enough?)
two corner overflows
and what ever holes i want
total price $975

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stand or canopy? If this is just the tank, then I say its kinda on the high side pricewise.

G

glenn

A 180 gal.Oceanic by me is just over $850. So that really isnt to bad for that one. It does sound built well enough and plenty thick too. What are they going to charge for the stand and canopy for it?
Glenn

mr. tang

Hey Wuelfman,
I just finished building a stand and canopy for my 90gal. I used 4x4 posts for each corner. I then built the rest with 2x4's. The tank is 40 inches tall 48" long and 18" wide. I wrapped it completely with 3/4" Oak faced plywood. The reason I am telling you all of this is that this stand is one extremely heavy bugger. I had to put brass handles on the sides of it. It takes two people to lift it.
From looking at you picture, you will have twice as many posts as I did. If you plan on using 3/4" plywood; plan on needing at least two if not more people to lift that stand. Otherwise good luck. :)

mr. tang

Oh yea, I built it right after the earthquake that hit Seattle, so this baby isn't going anywhere! It really turned out nice, I am attempting to put up how I did it online. I don't have a scanner right now, but as soon as visit my fathers house (he has one) I will send you pics. Send me your email when you get a chance, mine is tazcorp@home.com.