cutting holes

dbrown9

I posted on new hobbiest too but just in case. I have a 75 gal oceanic all glass tank that i recently purchased used! It has one hole for the drain but I want a hole cut for the return. I talked to the guy at the local glass shop, he said he could prob do it but its possible it breaks. Then What? is it worth doing and can the hole be cut in the side or something instead of the bottom?

snakeblitz33

I wouldn't worry about cutting a return line hole. You already have one hole for the drain pipe - and that's pretty much all you need for an internal overflow. What you should think about is how you might want to place a 1/4" thick piece of glass in the corner (or whereever your overflow is) to have better drain power.
I wouldn't risk breaking the glass if I already had a drain hole, but that's just me.

al&burke

This is how I set up my 65 gallon. This only shows one side of the tank, the overflow is in the middle and the returns are in both back corners the 1" pvc pipe simply comes over the top of the tank. The pictures showed here is when I was leak checking all my plumbing. What diameter is the hole that is drilled on your tank? And is there an overflow box.

S

saxman

If you're not handy and/or don't want to purchase the diamond hole saw you'll need, I recommend using "directional u-tubes" for you returns. They just fit right over the rim of the tank.

dbrown9

its a 1" bulkhead for the drain i think. its a 1" pipe and 90 degree elbow already cemented to it. not exactly what i want but i need to hurry up and get water in this thing before the seams starts drying.
there is a 1/2" return line with elbow over the rim of the tank now.

dbrown9

and what about a cover for the drain tube? over flow box? its an eye sore as it stands in the corner

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown9 http:///t/387538/cutting-holes#post_3410719
and what about a cover for the drain tube? over flow box? its an eye sore as it stands in the corner
I think that's where SnakeBlitz was going with the 1/4" piece of glass comment. What I'd recommend is getting a 1/4" piece of black acrylic with some teeth cut in the top, and putting it across the corner of the tank in front of the standpipe with black silicone. The water will flow thru the teeth, fill the O/F and drain out the standpipe.

Don't worry about the tank being dry...the silicone shouldn't break down or dry out the way the putty in the old tanks used to do.

acrylic51

Solid info they gave you above.....I agree about not worrying about the silicone drying out.....If you have a dremel or Rotozip you can get the bits pretty cheap and cut the hole, instead of the holesaw.
Only thing I'm curious about is where are you wanting your extra hole drilled? Bottom of tank, wall? I'd double check if your doing the bottom to verify it's not tempered.

S

saxman

The OP is wanting to add a drilled return, a51.
dbrown,
If you do decide to drill the tank, use lots of water, let the tool do the work, and don't make the hole any closer than 2" from the edge.

acrylic51

To the OP.....your question was answered in the other forum no the bottom can't be drilled, but the back and sides can be.....The bottom is tempered, so it's not possible.

dbrown9

thanks for the infor guys. I didnt drill because the glass shop was going to charge more than i wanted to spend and to much of a risk. Its up and running, looking good