cutting plexi tank

guppie

I have a 20 gal plexi tank I want to make into a sump, I want to trim off most of the top that will be in the way, and just leave a lip for support, has anyone tried this? What kind of problems did you have if any? I was thinking that I sould be alright leaving a 1/4 or 1/2 inch lip, I am not sure, let me know what you think.
thanks chris

mitzel

I'm not sure I understand what you ment by a lip? but you should be able to cut it vey easy with a saw or a dremel. you want to use a blade with large teeth and a shallow cutting ,so the blade is barely going thru the plexy glass at a soft angle. If you get it too deep the teeth will be striking the plexy at a harsh angle and will chip or crack the tank.

guppie

What I am talking about cutting off is the top of the tank where you would sit the lights, and it has slots cut out in it for filters, and stuff to be put down into the tank through, I know that it is also part of the support, but I am not going to fill the tank to the top, I plan on leaving part of the lip for support, thank again.

mitzel

I belive that you could heat that up with a heat gun and pull it off then cut the tank to size you want and re attatch it . But I don't think you would even need it since your not filling it up all the way .

creative

The best way to cut acrylic is with a router. If you don't have a router use a circular saw with a fine tooth blade. Cut very slowly with either. I like to make a guide template out of a piece of MDF or plywood and use a router bit with a guide bearing.
If you need any more help feel free to contact me by email at todd@creativebuilderserie.com, you can call me if you want at 814-873-7711, or leave a post here.
Todd