Cutting xenia in display tank?

csrobe02

Can it be done to cut xenia in my display tank? I only have 2 stalks and want them out, and my friend wants them. I am slowly getting rid of all my soft corals and switching to all SPS/LPS, the the xenia stalks take up so much room, and completely block the veiw of the SPS that I have in there now.
Anyone know if I can just cut out the 2 stalks that I have now, and follow it with a water change? Would this be ok?
Thanks

costa78

You should gently cut the base of the stalks and have your friend rubber-band them around small rocks. They may look dead for a while but they will grow back if your tank conditions are good.

csrobe02

But will cutting them inside my display tank hurt any of my other corals? I know when they are cut they release a slime, and im sure my acros wont like that too much (just put an ORA blue tort in my tank today and I will die if I loose it)

csrobe02

Yea I thought the same thing... but.... the same rock that the xenia are attached to, there is a birdsnest, blue milli, and my RBTA all attached to the same rock, so taking the rock out is not an option!
I dont know what to do :notsure:

csrobe02

Cool thats exactly what I was thinking kip. That and as an extra pre-caution I could have my friend with a syphon hose right there to suck all the major stuff up.
It really is amazing how much I used to LOVE soft corals, and my tank was full of them, and slowly I have noticed me getting rid of all my softies and it is pretty much an SPS only tank now (with the exception of my hairy mushrooms... sentimental value, was the first coral I ever got!)
Thanks for chiming in kip!

csrobe02

Yea I know exactly what you want to say. And honestly, as much as I want to keep them, the more I get into SPS, I am sure that I will be getting rid of them

What's wrong with hairy mushrooms in a SPS tank? Extending tentacles at night or release toxins or something?
:notsure:

reefnut

I cut my Xenias in the display all the time.
If a hairy mushroom touched a sps it will kill the sps coral.