Cyano in fuge

tsdid

I am getting cyano in my refugium, the tank has only been up for 3-4 weeks. I am new to having a refuge but I am linking it to the light source which is a par 5200k compact florecent. There are no signs of it in the display tank. Is this normal? My only worry is it will smother my cheto

novahobbies

IMO, a little cyano in your fuge isn't a problem. You have to watch it however, make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Cyano can indeed smother chaeto as it is a far more aggressive grower. Excess cyano may mean you have a nutrient balance issue that your filter isn't addressing.
Also, remember that chaeto is only a moderate nutrient exporter....and that the only way you're really going to "export" those nutrients bound up in the chaeto is by pruning the macroalgae ball and getting rid of portions to allow it to grow back. Caulerpa is known to be a faster and more aggressive nutrient exporter; however, there's a high risk it will go sexual and re-release all those nutrients back in the tank.
I've seen sumps that were crystal clear, and sumps that looked like Swamp Thing's Outhouse. It all boils down to what your display tank looks like....if your DT looks great and your chemistry is in place, then it's up to you to decide if you wish to battle the cyano that may be hiding out in your sump. Good Luck!

katsafados

KEEP a very close eye on it..
I had cyano in my fuge, and it got into my DT, but fortunatly im very lucky and I got rid of it pretty quickly before it spread.
I still have cyno in my fuge but I put tons of filterfloss i nthe fuge in key places so things in my fuge stay in my fuge.

tsdid

I really think its due to the light thats down there. does anyone use 10K instead of the plant lights with success?

tsdid

whats the best way to get rid of it. Part of the problem is I dont have my protein skimmer in the system yet. Im waiting untill I get my microbubble issue resolved, and due to space it would be difficult to work with the skimmer in. Im hoping to have the skimmer in within a week.

katsafados

Not sure about the light.. I use a regu8lar flouresten light that comes with stock regular equariums..
Just suck out the cyno with water changes,, allow less light,, and less nutrients
Cyno uses photosynthesis and nutrients to grow.. thats why there not sure what to call it yet, a bacteria or a algae.

tsdid

I have read that it grows better under the warmer lights ala 5200k thats why I believe its the light, also the farthest corner from the light doesnt have the cyano.

novahobbies

Ditto. Best way to get rid of it would be to deprive it of light for a couple days. Your chaeto will survive a bit w/o it. You can also use one of the red slime remover products if you wish.
Keep in mind both of these options will help solve the immediate symptom, but not the root cause. How long do you light your fuge? I keep mine lit 24/7 and I've not had a slime problem in my fuge, but I know other people light the fuge for 12 hours during the night only. This method may help you cut down on the growth, and the lit fuge at night will help prevent pH swings.
What kind of microbubble problem are you having? Is it a problem with your fuge in general, or with a skimmer that you own but haven't put in use?

novahobbies

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/3188734
I have read that it grows better under the warmer lights ala 5200k thats why I believe its the light, also the farthest corner from the light doesnt have the cyano.
Very good point. Lowes sells a fluorescent floodlight that is rated at 6500k...that's what I use. Algae blooms occur when our lights get older and start to red-shift, so the 5200k light might be part of the problem....?

tsdid

I have it lit 12 hours during the night. Not sure how it got there but my light is 5100k I just looked Can you send me the specs for the bulb you bought at lowes? I will turn it off for a few days to cut it back. do you ever put a low flow power head in the fuge to get the detrius to get out of that area? i put some snails and crabs in there but they dont seem very active so im afraid to put any other living things in there.

novahobbies

you're in luck -- I have to go to lowes tonight anyways, so I will find it and take a phone pic of the box. This way I can also make sure I'm not talkin' out of my a--.
I don't keep a powerhead in the fuge, and the only thing munching on the accumulated detritus is a healthy copepod and amphipod collection. Yes, there IS a fine layer of "dirt" on the sand in two corners, but overall not too much. Most of the detritus gets caught in the filter floss before the flow hits the fuge area. The amphipods especially seem to do a good job keeping this down to a minimum