Cyano is dying!

Shilpan

My cyano bloom in my 4 month old reef tank is dying down.

The areas which I siphoned off the rocks don't grow back anymore. In fact the GHA clumps are going away too, the snails have started eating them all of a sudden??. I also have patches of coralline algae popping up, phosphates 0-0.03, nitrates 0ppm.

Macroalgae recovered after my last excessive pruning so that's helping too I'm sure.

Now the cyano that does remain, is really only on my sandbed. I'll siphon it out in a few days when water change comes but, why is this? Is there something wrong with my sandbed? I haven't siphoned my sandbed for the past month is that why?

florida joe

Sh@t happens don't over think it. just siphon the sand with out disturbing it to much. shut off your return pump use a tooth brush to brush the spores off the coralline and seed other areas of your tank .

Shilpan

Sounds good!

Another random question, I've noticed I have bubble algae growing on especially one rock in my sump. Which happens to be live rock that I added 4 months ago. The bubble algae doesn't grow in my DT. Is this because of low flow in the refugium? I didn't think it would be due to snails eating it in the display since they don't touch bubble algae I've heard.

Shilpan

Hey one-fish if you're still around, how's your cyano control going?

I just siphoned my last few spots yesterday and nothing has grown back.

one-fish

Hey Shilpan not having the success your having mine is still hanging around Making some SW for a WC just added salt going to have it ready for tom. Never got chaeto to grow in sump but now have GHA growing there now that will get washed off rubble rocks when WC. My DT is in need of some atten. too, but don't want to do to much at one time. Overall I think it's a waiting game, not planning adding anymore Livestock but thinking of a couple more Lbs of LR. BTW hows your Fish doing ? Saw my clowns the other night acting as if they were spawning but when checked them in morning I saw no eggs but I think in time that will happen. Thx

Shilpan

Oh yup! Maybe try caulerpa? (Ofc certain species have a risk of going sexual). My caulerpa grows crazy.

Haha cyano is gone but I have bubble algae now!! Well I had 3-4 bubbles which I removed without popping, and nothing has grown back now so I'm hoping it's under control.

Fish are good! My clowns have paired up which is nice :)

Hmm also I dunno if this is just me being silly but I didn't touch any other algae except cyano when I was fighting it. I sorta hoped everything else would help outcomplete it.

one-fish

To be honest haven't really touched the DT most of my algae removal was from the sump thus the atten. to the DT now. First stage clean up is cyano growing on rocks Turkey blast -n- siphon off best I can w/4gal WC. Day or two later 4gal WC removing cyano/GHA from substrate from 1/2 the tank, then repeat couple days later of remaining substrate....Funny have had P04 N03 levels are near zero nearly 2 wks now. I do think it's a new tank cycle and nature will balance things. I must maintain consistent water parameters with no swings and I'll be fine. Thx.. BTW Growing that green bubble algae on rubble rock in my sump too that's what I scrub in the water left over from a WC and immediately put back..

Shilpan

Hmm maybe I'm wrong but I found turkey baster blowing made my cyano spread more? It would pop up on other rocks after I did that.

Yeah I hear bubble algae is fine if you remove regularly, but can explode if you don't watch it. IM finding 2-3 bubbles a week which I remove.

deejeff0442

I use tweezers at the base to remove bubble algae.
A week ago I turned up my led lights a bit . I have a dimmer set up. Now have some red cyno starting. My monti corals seemed to need more light. It helped the monti but now cyno .
Unless it gets bad I will just let it go. Tanks will adjust on thier own .
Plus I have been slacking on water changes.

2quills

If you really want to get a handle on it now just take the rock out of the sump and let it die off or kill it before you put it back.

It's already done it's job of seeding the system.

one-fish

Just finished 4gal WC cleaned out the sump and 2 rocks in the DT with GHA /cyano,, Took Shilpan's advise and didn't turkey blast it but stirred things up a bit hope I didn't over do it. Not trying to remove all the GHA just the diatom/cyano. Changed out the grow light in sump for a 23w cfl. Grow light produced green slime bubble hair algae.. glad that was in the sump. Still experimenting around to find a balance. New skimmer has made a significant difference in water clarity happy there.. Looking at Chemipure as an additional solution. Thx..

Shilpan

I took your advice 2quills and removed the rock 5 days ago, I removed some bubble algae 4 days ago and I haven't seen anymore bubble algae since. I find this very interesting, the bubble algae only grew on the live rock and not the other rock which was becoming live rock. Must Be something special about it which makes it better suited for algae.

Hope the battle is going well one-fish! My cyano disappeared completely there's none left except one 2x2cm patch in my sump. So just to review I siphoned it out once a week. Either with wc or into a bucket with a filter sock so I could put the water back in. I feed 1/8 cube a day of frozen. Ran GFO (dunno it's been 4 months but apparently it's still working-Seachem phosnet), and didn't trim my macroalgae too much. Did 10% wc biweekly (20% a month) I swear something must be eating it, maybe one of these weird stomatella and elephant slugs and other random stuff that's popping up in my tank.

one-fish

Glad to hear Shilpan.. Still have some but not much happy with results thus far. Going to do a 4gal WC and continue washing rubble rock in sump to remove all algaes in water from WC. Strange you mentioned that about your LR and bubble algae, have one larger size Fuji LR that is covered in 2 in of GHA that is going to get washed as well and returned to DT. Once I get a better balance on this I am going to brush the LR w/coralline into the DT to seed. Trying not to do to much at one time been running Seagel in my DIY reactor but thinking about switching the media to Chemipure. N03 and P04 are currently zero but think its being devoured before it can register a reading. BTW the clowns were acting up again the smaller one was on his side laying in the sand while to larger one was swimming all around it dipping and diving.. Just a matter of time..Thx