Cyano problem in a dwarf seahorse tank

crimzy

Is there a cure for cyano in a dwarf tank? Obviously I can't add current or cut back on feeding. Is there any product or other solution that can help?

granny

OH, Yeah, Drs Foster and Smith sell these terrific sheets of miracle stuff that eliminate within 48 hours. There are two flat sheets in a small package that you can fold into your filter or lay flat if you have enough room. Give me a few minutes and I can give you the order info if you are interested.

granny

Ok, here is the info. Go on line to **************.com
key in the code td-908167.
It is only $12.99 for a package which should clear up your problem
Good Luck

aredmon

I know this is kind of an old post but I have to ask crimzy if the filter pads worked? I have a seahorse tank and it is starting to grow this slimy brown hair looking stuff. I think I may have the same problem as you.

crimzy

Originally Posted by aredmon
I know this is kind of an old post but I have to ask crimzy if the filter pads worked? I have a seahorse tank and it is starting to grow this slimy brown hair looking stuff. I think I may have the same problem as you.
No, I don't think the filter pads did anything. They definitely didn't get rid of any of the cyano that was in my tank. I pulled the cyano out with a net and cleaned the sand. I do still have a phosphate removing filter pad in the filter and I cut back on the lights by 2-3 hours per day and things seem to be better.

N

nereef

i've got a quick question. has anyone ever tried Maracyn for cyano? it's basically erythromyocin (sp), which is a broad spectrum antibiotic that works against most gram- bacteria.

dominican

I've used Chemi-Clean by Boyd Enterprises in my 150. Worked quickly and got rid of 100% of the cyano in 48 hours, fyi...

fishfreek

I used maracyn for cayno a few years back in my 38g reef tank. I know alot of you will think im crazy, but i never had any problems and the cayno was completly gone! I used the "freshwater" maracyn (forgot who makes it) I pulled my carbon, dropped 1/2 a tablet in my HOB filter for three to four days and it was gone, never to return. After it began to die off, i did i large water change and i syphoned out as much as i could.
I don't know if this is completly safe, seeing it kills some of the benificial bacteria, but just wanted to let you know of my personal experience using maracyn.