Cyano?

Ok...for some of you, you know I have been fighting a Cyano outbreak for some time. I went in and they tested the water, for Phosphates. That came up at zero. The Alk was low he said and the Ca was 360. He told me to up my dosing for both. He had said there is a relation to the Alk and the amount of CO2 in the water or something along those lines. Can anyone tell me anything about that?

ajroc31

I once had a huge outbreak of cyano. It was connected to me removing a biowheel from my filter. I solved it by, putting the wheel back in so that more oxygen can get into water, and by cutting the light time by few hours. In about a week it was all gone. Oh, you can change some water, and vacuum the rocks while you are doing it. It comes right off. Its not really a big thing to fight. Just make sure that you increase your oxygen, and shorten the light time.

sergeant

I had a problem with cyanobacteria from the start of my set-up. I do water changes weekly, added new lights, added a skimmer and a phosban reactor, reduce the lights time, added caulerpa to the refugium, feed once a day and I still had the cyanobacteria. All the stuff I did cleared up the green hair algae. I dont believe in adding chemicals to the water but I decided to tryout a product a friend recomended called "chemi-clean". And good bye cyanobacteria. It worked for me. HTH

razoreqx

soccer4life94 *comfort*
When your ready for chemical give me a ring. I know you have suffered with this for a LONG time.

S

sebae0

chemi clean is actually a resin that your water flows thru its really not a chemical that you add to your tank like red slime remover.

sergeant

soccer4life94
I added the chemi-clean last week and so far no evidence of cyanobacteria yet and I hope it stays gone.
sebae0
chemi-clean is a white dust, according to the instructions in the label you have to mix with water before putting it in the tank. Maybe you are thinking of something called Algone to absorb nitrates that comes in a small white pouch to put in the filter or where water flows thru it.