cyano ?

isistius

what would cause a cyano outbreak after a tank transfer?
i went from a 135 to a 54. everything was trasnferred. all of the sand went in 2 weeks before any rock or livestock.
i am now running 2 koralia 4's in the display. about 120lbs of lr, 20 lbs of ls.
lights are aquactinics tx5 5x39w t5. actinics are on 7-9:30, daylights are on 9:30 - 6:30.
i feed 2x a week. i do have a very large bioload in the tank (7 fish), but i am running a skimmer rated at 225g.
params:
sg: 1.026
ph: 8.2
ca: 500
alk: 10 dkh
mg: 1300
nh3: 0
no2: 0
no3: 0
po4: 0
any ideas?

isistius

2400 gph in the display w/o counting the return pump, skimmer pump, and phosban reactor pump. i really don't think there are any dead spots, especially on the surface of the rocks. idk.

isistius

the skimmer already runs wet imo. i'll try to siphon it out in my next water change over the weekend.
could it be new tank syndrome, even tho nothing is new?

coraljunky

Originally Posted by Isistius
the skimmer already runs wet imo. i'll try to siphon it out in my next water change over the weekend.
could it be new tank syndrome, even tho nothing is new?
Siphon it out daily

coraljunky

Originally Posted by derekc
what do you guys mean running the skimmer wet?
Meaning a higher water level in the column. This causes over-skimming, a lighter color skimmate. Also known as aggressive skimming.

D

dennis210

Every tank move - relocate - or exchange - I have done when you mess with the sand bed you will go through another cycle. Cyano is likely cuased by the same thing. If you are running a 225g skimmer on a 54g tank you are already over skimming. You will be removing much more than you realize!

isistius

dennis- that's what i figured. i did test it when i moved the sand over. saw an ammonia spike after a day or two, and i did a water change after the 1st week. re-tested, and everything was perfect. i guess it's just "new tank syndrome", and i'll have to siphon out daily like c.j. said. why do i even listen to c.j.? damn damn damn........

m0nk

Although you're not picking up any nitrate in the water it might all still be trapped in the sand/rock prior to it breaking down. Moving the tank could stir that up and cause some cyano. It's like mentioned earlier, new tank syndrome, in a sense.

perfectdark

What about your lights... you went from a 135 to a 54... what did you have for lights on the 135? Thats a lot of light especially with the aquatinics on a 54, and cyano is light dependant. If your lighting wasnt as intense before as like it is now this could also be a contributer, IMO.

isistius

i had 2x150 mh and 2x130 pc over my 135. the light was nowhere near sufficient for what i was wanting. the t5's were over my frag tank. i might shut down the lights for a few days. i've done that in the past with the 135. shut it down for 2-3 days a month.

J

jrthomas40

i have the same problem now...im guessing its the moving of the rock and sand stirring everything up...i just treated with the red slime control after a water change going to siphon out what i see dying off in the next water change this weekend

coraljunky

Originally Posted by Isistius
dennis- that's what i figured. i did test it when i moved the sand over. saw an ammonia spike after a day or two, and i did a water change after the 1st week. re-tested, and everything was perfect. i guess it's just "new tank syndrome", and i'll have to siphon out daily like c.j. said. why do i even listen to c.j.? damn damn damn........

What did I do????