Cyanobacteria Relief

edubb777

I recently had a serious outbreak of cyano and tried everything to get rid of it without using additives.
I reduced the use of my 2 250 W MH's from 6 hrs a day to 3. I reduced use of my actinics from 6 hrs to 5.
I installed two more powerheads directed at the substrate.
I reduced feeding from twice daily to once every other day.
I installed a phospate reactor.
NOTHING Worked.
I then came across this stuff called Chemiclean. It took three applications with a 25% water change after each one but the stuff fibally disappeared.
Has anyone else ever used this to their benefit and is there any long term negative affects on livestock?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Chemiclean is pretty good, as long as it is used exactly as instructed and not overdosed. However, in the long run, to prevent red-slime from reappearing, you must find "the cause" and address the problem in terms of correcting why it happens, rather than defensively [after the fact].

edubb777

Thanks Beth. Is there any other causes to the slime problem besides the ones I previously mentioned?
I've read alot of threads on this board and followed those suggestions but I'm afraid they didn't work.
Worse yet, this evening it looks as if it may be coming back.
All of my parameters are text book including phosphate, Kh, salinity etc.
I have vaccumed the live sand twice this week trying to rid it of any remaining cyano-bacteria but to no avail.....
Help, this stuff is nasty.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is a huge topic on cyanobacteria in the Achieves.
Frankly, this bacteria is common to most reef tanks and is actually introduced usually on rock. In small amts, it really is not a problem. However, given the right conditions, it can blossom into a plague.
I found that lights-off helps a great deal in eliminating cyano, however, the underlying cause for it reaching a plague level needs to be addressed or it will only reappear with a vengeance.
Take a look at the Achieves.

uberlink

Overfeeding will cause an outbreak every time, as you've mentioned. That seems to be the number-one predictor of a cyano outbreak in my tank.