Cyanobacteria with low nitrates

liadb

Introduced some polyps on a live rock about 6 weeks ago (2nd pic). 40 gallon reef tank with 10 gallon sump, nitrates .05, nitrites 0, ammonia- 0, ph 7.8, salinity 1.025, temp constant 79/80F, 25 lbs of live rock, live aragonite substrate. I feed maybe once a week. Use R/O water. Thought this (1st pic) was pretty for about 5 days until I saw it wasn't part of the rock. Yikes! I've been cleaning the scourge and vacuuming. Several times a day, cranked the protein skimmer up a bit. Geez. Help?
2. This polyp I introduced has killed my shaving brush and pieces of it float around and bother mushrooms, etc. what is this - I need to see how aggressive it is - I was told it was peaceful.

Attachments

snakeblitz33

Shaving brush is hard to keep alive in the first place.

Cyanobacteria is a buildup of biofilm over rotting material like detritus. High nitrates and phosphates are concentrated in a localized area and nutrients may not be high in the water column.

To get rid of it you may want to consider taking a small powerhead and blowing off the affected areas and make sure it gets collected in the mechanical filter and that you change the filter quickly afterwards. The tank then needs a large water change- which will either send your skimmer into overdrive or it won't skim for a while.

If skimming, manual removal, water changes and macro algae don't fix it, use chemi-clean and follow the directions closely.

pegasus

Cyanobacteria is pretty much present in all tanks, but if the conditions are right, it will blossom like a mofo. I've had a very small case of it in my 125 for a couple of years now, but it stays confined to a very light dusting of very small patches of sand where water flow isn't as strong as the rest of the tank. None on the rocks at all. My new 40B, which is tied in with the 125, is a completely different story. It got so bad that I couldn't see the rocks, and the sand had large mats covering most of it. I blasted it with powerheads and a turkey baster, then netted the larger chunks. The smaller stuff got trapped in the filter sock in the refugium, but it infected my miracle mud and created a slime coating over it and the chaeto. I battled with it for a couple of months, and finally gave in and broke out my old stash of Chemi-Clean. I dosed it Saturday morning, so tomorrow I have to do a 20% water change and turn the UV sterilizer on again. If it doesn't cure it, I'll dose it again in a week. So if all else fails, there's always Chemi-Clean. Be sure to follow directions to the letter, and it should cure your issue with no side effects. You'll have to turn your skimmer way down, because it will create foam like crazy for the first few hours after dosing. The reason I haven't used it sooner for my tank is because I'm reluctant to use chemicals. Once I finally realize that I've run out of options (and patience), I'll give in and use them... and when it cures the problem I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. LOL!

PS: 25 lbs of live rock is pretty slim for a 40G reef tank. Typical recommendations are 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per gallon. I have 60 lbs in my 40B, and plenty of room to spare. I'll most likely add another 20 lbs or so later on. Plenty of rock and sand helps with de-nitrification.

Snake... I had some shaving brush and pine cone macros that were thriving and multiplying in my tank... until my lawnmower blenny developed a taste for them. I didn't think they were edible, but he hammered on them until there was nothing left but the stalks. A fewe tried to form new heads, and he destroyed them, too. I finally just pulled up all the root balls and tossed them in the trash.

liadb

Thanks to both. - I am trying to hold off on chemicals, I've heard of a few nasty ones that kill off the good bacteria song with the cyano. It probably is close to 40 since I've added in more in with corals on them. I really do t have room for more :). My shave brush was multiplying. This coral with wandering polyps (the main chunk is intact on the other side of tank) just parks itself at the base of a stalk for a few days and the stalk turns white. Can you identify it? (On top of dead stalk in 2nd pic.
Cyanobacteria is pretty much present in all tanks, but if the conditions are right, it will blossom like a mofo. I've had a very small case of it in my 125 for a couple of years now, but it stays confined to a very light dusting of very small patches of sand where water flow isn't as strong as the rest of the tank. None on the rocks at all. My new 40B, which is tied in with the 125, is a completely different story. It got so bad that I couldn't see the rocks, and the sand had large mats covering most of it. I blasted it with powerheads and a turkey baster, then netted the larger chunks. The smaller stuff got trapped in the filter sock in the refugium, but it infected my miracle mud and created a slime coating over it and the chaeto. I battled with it for a couple of months, and finally gave in and broke out my old stash of Chemi-Clean. I dosed it Saturday morning, so tomorrow I have to do a 20% water change and turn the UV sterilizer on again. If it doesn't cure it, I'll dose it again in a week. So if all else fails, there's always Chemi-Clean. Be sure to follow directions to the letter, and it should cure your issue with no side effects. You'll have to turn your skimmer way down, because it will create foam like crazy for the first few hours after dosing. The reason I haven't used it sooner for my tank is because I'm reluctant to use chemicals. Once I finally realize that I've run out of options (and patience), I'll give in and use them... and when it cures the problem I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. LOL!

PS: 25 lbs of live rock is pretty slim for a 40G reef tank. Typical recommendations are 1 - 1 1/2 lbs per gallon. I have 60 lbs in my 40B, and plenty of room to spare. I'll most likely add another 20 lbs or so later on. Plenty of rock and sand helps with de-nitrification.

Snake... I had some shaving brush and pine cone macros that were thriving and multiplying in my tank... until my lawnmower blenny developed a taste for them. I didn't think they were edible, but he hammered on them until there was nothing left but the stalks. A fewe tried to form new heads, and he destroyed them, too. I finally just pulled up all the root balls and tossed them in the trash.

pegasus

Cyano grows on the surfaces of substrate and rocks, while the beneficial bacteria is located underneath the surfaces (under sand and inside rocks). If used according to directions, Chemi-Clean is safe to use. If you should lose some during treatment, any small amount of beneficial bacteria lost will replenish itself very quickly. I can't vouch for other manufacturers, but Boyd Industries has been making quality aquatic additives for quite some time. It's the only brand I would trust to use in my tank.

As for identifying the wandering coral... I can't from the picture above. I don't even see a coral, other than the zoanthids behind the stalk. If it wanders, it should be easy to net and put in a clear container for a closeup photo. That will help immensely.

liadb

Thanks, with cleaning rock and vacuuming detritis - I have it down to a dull roar, but I will order some! It is a zoanthid - that was a clump open, here is one closed up photo. I got a large rock of them from ***** at a ridiculously low price. I looked it up at the time and I remember it said peaceful...I'm not so sure...
image.jpg

liadb

Does anyone have any opinions about algae turf scrubbers in the sump in lieu of a media rack to help control Cyanobacteria or algae outbreaks? I intend to put a Hog1x in the sump between my protein skimmer and outflow pump instead of a rack with a variety of filters, etc...

silverado61

You need to get the problem algae under control for a turf scrubber to do any real good. And you can't keep any algae in the sump with it. They will compete with each other for food.

pegasus

Thanks, with cleaning rock and vacuuming detritis - I have it down to a dull roar, but I will order some! It is a zoanthid - that was a clump open, here is one closed up photo. I got a large rock of them from ***** at a ridiculously low price. I looked it up at the time and I remember it said peaceful...I'm not so sure...View attachment 590
The term "peaceful" when referring to corals typically means that they are not aggressive and/or lack stinging tentacles. Some zoanthids contain a poison called palytoxin... one of the most toxic compounds in the world, so be careful handling them... wear gloves and don't rub your eyes. If this stuff is as dangerous to plant life as it is to animal life, I can see why it killed the shaving brush. I just don't understand how they came in contact with each other. Neither of them "wander"...