Cycle/Algae Question

partonks

Quick question from a new guy setting up a reef tank. I'm cycling a 50G with 75 lbs LR and 10lbs ls (mixed with 40lbs of aragonite). I just recently started but I know I can expect some algae soon. Could someone please give a quick summary of what to expect and if I am supposed to clean it off the glass? Also, when can I introduce the cleaning crew, is this the first thing that should go in after the cycle? believe it or not, I've read a lot on the subject, and not many books really clearly describe the algae or clean up crew, just when fish and corals can be added.
Thanks,
Kevin

b_ball12_99

I'll make this short as possible. Your nitrates and ammon. will shoot up real high and peak. They they drop down to 0 or very close to it (should). You will get an ugly brown algea (really it is diatoms). After the readings drop to 0 then it is recemmended to do a water change or 20-25%. Then the diatoms should start to turn into nice green algea. After the readings get better then it is safe to add a cleaning crew. They cycle can take from a week to a month depending. Test your water daily while cycling.

partonks

Thanks a lot, I've got a ton of information on the chemical changes during cycling (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates)and my tests are going as expected but I just never knew what to expect for algae growth. thanks a lot.
Kevin