cycle done?

mbrands

I just tested . . .
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20 nitrates
Sounds like I'm done to me, but I wanted to ask those of you who know a lot more than I do.
If I am done, I planned to do a 20% water change tonight, re-check my levels in 48 hours, then add some cleaners on Sunday (72 hours later). Does this sound ok? I don't want to rush things and am willing to wait if I should.
Thanks,
Mike

cayman isl

Hi Mike,
Did you see the rise in ammonia, then the rise in nitrite during your tests while cycling?
And how long did your cycle take?
If you saw the rise and fall of the Nh3 and No2 and now have a 20 reading of No3 then it sounds like you are done.
Also are you seeing any blooms of brown algae, called diatoms? That is an indication that you are going thru the maturing stage of your tank.
Good luck!
Chris

mbrands

Chris,
First, thanks for your help!
I started up the tank on Monday (12/6) of last week and added 50 pounds of LR last Wednesday (12/8). I also put in 3 jumbo shrimp from the grocery store after reading the suggestion on another posting. I ended up removing the liquified shrimp and doing a test last Sunday (12/12). Those values were:
0.25 ammonia
0.50 nitrite
20 nitrate
I didn't think it would cycle this quickly, but can't figure another reason for the results I got tonight. I just did another test to make sure I didn't goof something up and got the same results 0/0/20.
As for the brown algae, I've got several colors of "stuff" on my LR. I read to keep the lights off during the cycling to discourage rampange algae growth (since there is nothing to eat it).
What do you (or anyone else) think?
Thanks again,
Mike

cayman isl

Hi Mike,
Unfortunately I don't think you finished the cycle.
It usually takes around 8 to 9 days to see your high peak of ammonia. It would have been much higher than 0.25, more in the range of 2.0 to 4.0 ppm. As it gradually drops the nitrite will begin to rise, starting to show up around day 4 or 5 with a peak at around 23 to 25 days . That reading would be way off your charts at that point, greater than 5.0 ppm. You would then see over the next 4 or 5 days a rapid drop from the high peak while getting to a 0 reading around day 30 or so. Then your nitrates will start to increase and you should starts seeing some N2 bubbles in your sand. Once you see that and your NO3 test hits around 40 to 80 ppm you shuld be around day 35 to 40. Then you're NO3 will fall off to a good level. Five ppm or less is good, but you are OK if it is around 20.
Since your tank start-up is so new I would wait until adding anything. I would give it at least a month to get the beneficial bacteria going.
What brand of test kit are you using?
Also, you are going to see the algae blooms regardless. It is not necessarily a bad thing, just shows the tank is maturing. You will also start to see small white spiral critters on the glass. This is also an indication that you are on the right track. After awhile, look at the tank at night, you will see pods dashing around the rock and sand. At that point you are ready to go. If you don't see anything like that now then I think you are still in the cycling phase.....

cayman isl

Originally posted by bigarn
I think the cycle is done and you're ready for inverts...Congrats! :D

Mike, I'd wait on this advice...
Bigarn, what makes you think his tank is cycled after only 10 days?

mbrands

Thank you all for trying to help!
I thought it might have cycled and I didn't test during the ammonia spike. I did everything I could think of to speed the process, but I'm hesitant because I always read the cycle should take 2-4 weeks.
If I do the 20% water change tonight and have similar readings on Saturday, could I add some of my cleaners Sunday?
Another question . . . should I leave the lights off or put them on a timer (I was thinking 10 hours/day) to get some algae growth for the cleaners to munch (when the are added)?
Thanks again,
Mike

bigarn

Originally posted by Cayman Isl
Mike, I'd wait on this advice...
Bigarn, what makes you think his tank is cycled after only 10 days?

Just my opinion...I've seen tanks cycle without ever showing any ammonia or nitrite spikes. In his case it did register ammonia and nitrites and then went to 0. From my experience and my opinion ONLY, he can add inverts. :D

hocky98

Mike, I am a beginner as well. I started my tank 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks I had the 0 readings as well. I have 6 Damsels and 2 hermit crabs in my tank during the cycling. I went to the lfs with my 0 readings and added a star and a coral beauty. The star is fine, but the coral beauty died in 3 days. When I tested again, my Nitrites were off the charts, so obviously the additions ran my tank into full cycle. IMO you need to be a bit more patient. but you could add a few hardy fish like Damsels or hermits.

cayman isl

Thanks Bigarn.... Gotcha....
Mike,
I wouldn't do a water change until you are absolutely sure you've cycled. Your water is new enough that it is still contributing vital elements to the system.
You can run your lights 8 to 10 hours, remember that algae also helps with nitrate removal.
I think you should wait a bit more before adding anything, but if you think you are ready try some inexpensive hermits. And even though damsels would survive and actually help the cycle along, you will have a devil of a time getting them out.
Test again tomorrow and once a day for a couple of weeks, chart the readings and see if you see any increases or decreases.
Good luck!
Chris

justchillin

Originally posted by Cayman Isl
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately I don't think you finished the cycle.
It usually takes around 8 to 9 days to see your high peak of ammonia. It would have been much higher than 0.25, more in the range of 2.0 to 4.0 ppm. As it gradually drops the nitrite will begin to rise, starting to show up around day 4 or 5 with a peak at around 23 to 25 days . That reading would be way off your charts at that point, greater than 5.0 ppm. You would then see over the next 4 or 5 days a rapid drop from the high peak while getting to a 0 reading around day 30 or so. Then your nitrates will start to increase and you should starts seeing some N2 bubbles in your sand. Once you see that and your NO3 test hits around 40 to 80 ppm you shuld be around day 35 to 40. Then you're NO3 will fall off to a good level. Five ppm or less is good, but you are OK if it is around 20.
Since your tank start-up is so new I would wait until adding anything. I would give it at least a month to get the beneficial bacteria going.
What brand of test kit are you using?
Also, you are going to see the algae blooms regardless. It is not necessarily a bad thing, just shows the tank is maturing. You will also start to see small white spiral critters on the glass. This is also an indication that you are on the right track. After awhile, look at the tank at night, you will see pods dashing around the rock and sand. At that point you are ready to go. If you don't see anything like that now then I think you are still in the cycling phase.....

i agree 100%....

mbrands

Thank you all for the help!
If my values stay at zero I'm thinking of adding 2-3 hermits on Sunday. I'll wait another week or two (testing daily) before adding anything else. From the beginning I didn't plan to add any fish for a month or so just to be safe and I didn't like the idea of damsels after hearing out aggressive they can be to future tankmates.
Again, thank you all for the feedback!
Mike
bigarn - I was about to type that you must miss Phoenix this time of year, then noticed you moved from here to California. Guess I can't really tease you then. :D

veganman

I've seen tanks cycle without ever showing any ammonia or nitrite spikes.
Me too Bigarn!
My nano of H. Zosterae never made it past .25 ammonia.
Mike,
It is entirely feasible that your tank has cycled, especially if your LR was fresh and had little die off.
Caution always wins out, but I think a few crabs would be okay.
Hockey98,
Did your coral beauty eat during those 3 days? I can NEVER seem to get them to eat, and they starve out by day 3. (Plus, if it wasn't eating, the leftover food would throw your readings for a loop.) Just a thought....(I've had it happen )

hocky98

No, the Angel really was not eating. I was only offering it flake food and didn't offer any more than I give with just the Damsels. Excess waste was not the issue. My Nitrite levels are peeking right now, so I think even after about a month with 6 Damsels and regular feeding, my tank just didn't cycle. I think its in the final stage of cycling right now. The Angel had wounds on both side just behind the fins. I'm pretty sure my Damsels were roughing it up, but I didn't see it happening.