Cycle:Lost coctail shrimps in tank.

barracuda

Hello. Yesterday i put 2 raw coctail shrimps into the tank to initiate the cycle. Somehow, maybe due to strong flow within the tank they have lost somewhere between the rocks. I still don't see ammonia spike, but i'm sure it will come. My problem is that coctail shrimps. What's gonna happen if they will remain in the tank? Should i add some clean up crew to eat that stuff?

nss11110

i cycled my tank with a cleaner crew. i figured they would eat the dead or dying stuff off the liverock when needed. it seemed to work for me. but thats just my experiance

jakob4001

leave them in;at some point they will disinagrate as well as causing amonia spike to cycle the tank; once cycle is over, shuld anything remain, your clean up crew will deal w/ it...but if your rock is LR, that would already have helped to cycle your tank...you may want to go ahead & add more LR if that is what you are using now before you add fish & inverts to avoid micro cycles later if your budget allows...

IMO you should really keep the cocktail shrimp at the resteraunt and serve them with a good cocktail sauce. Cycling with Live Rock is your best bet. There is usually enough stuff that dies off on your rock to start the cycling process. Jakob is right make sure you add all the rock you plan on now so you don't start another cycle later on down the road.

karlas

i just left the shrimp in the tank. the bacteria that builds from the cycle will eat up the shrimp and they will dissapear you will never know they were there. also any pods or worms on the rock will work on it they are scavageners and will help clean it up

B

bt_1999_66

Karlas,
I see you also have a sun conure... How old is he/she and does he already talk....?
Thanks....
ps. I have one called Gipsy....

karlas

BT_1999_66
sammy is about 2 1/2 yep he talks, laughs, and coughs. he talked and chattered all the time wich is cute but lately hes started a screaming thing. he screams 3 times stops then goes 3 times again not quite sure where he got that from but its annoying. im hoping its just a stage because he is spoiled.

bosco0633

just let it decompose in the tank. I did the same thing as you, rock and two shrimp. I left mine in, and now 3 weeks later they are all but gone. I found that the amonia spiked quickly in my tank and within a few days they went down to zero. It was the fastest cycle I have ever had. The tank is thriveing now, coraline is developing everywhere. Shrimp appears to be a great solution to tank cycleing. this is just my opinion take it for what it is worth