cycle over? next steps?

jdazzle

Allright, here we go:
I've got a 20 gallon long tank with ~30 lbs. of lr that I put in about 3 weeks ago. I think that it is now cycled, but I am unsure. My ammonia levels look just about zero, my nitrites are zero, and I have a small amount of nitrates. My salinity is 1.023, temp 82 degrees.
One of the reasons that I think that my tank is cycled is a sudden multiplication of the number of snails that are in my tank (I think that I had some that hung on the lr for the ride). At first count about 3 weeks ago, I had 4 tiny ones. Now it looks as if I have about 13 tiny ones. What is my next step? Should I go to my local store with a water sample to make sure that my tank is cycled? And if it is, what kind of clean up crew should I get? I'm only really interested right now in eventually getting a clownfish... Help!

oceanjumper

Looks to me your tank has cycled. Have you already noticed an increased algae bloom? After 6 weeks, I got first a few days that the brown algae (well, actually they are diatoms) a few weeks later I got a short bloom of green algae.
If you have only small snails (how small is small?) you could add a few turbo snails (I have 5 in 72 gl) and a few hermit crabs. Nevertheless, remember that a clean up crew can only thrive if they have something to clean. For this they need a fish to provide it. Well, since you only want to have clowns, I think it is better for you to wait a bit longer. Give it another 3 weeks (see if you get the algae bloom) before adding a (pair of) clown(s). If you really like to add something add a few hermit crabs. This is just my opinion. I'm sure others will follow.
Good luck & Have fun

col

Not sure what looks just about zero means (ammonia).
The tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrites have risen and than fallen to zero.

jdazzle

When I say "looks" about zero, it is because my eyes have a little trouble telling the difference between yellow and yellow with a slight green tinge!
In response to the algae question, yes, I have some diatom action going on in the tank, and one small patch of green algae on one of my lr.
In response to the size of the snails, I'm talking *small*. Shells are probably no larger than 1/8" in diameter.
So, from what I can tell, it is ok to add some inverts to clean up the diatoms, then add the clowns? Or add the clowns, then the inverts?

oceanjumper

I would add three large turbo snails (>1'), three red-legged hermits, three blue-legged hermits. I would wait 3-4 weeks with the clown(s). Just MO.
Good luck

jdazzle

Sorry for the constant questions, but only a few more:
Now that I believe the tank has cycled, do I perform my regular water changes now?
-and-
Can I add the above mentioned inverts at once, or should I only do 2-3 at a time?
Thanx again!

kpogue

STOP! Please do not assume the tank has cycled until you can test "0" with your 'ites, 'ates, ammo for 5 days in a row. Then do a 30 - 50% water change, test again, then begin to add livestock. Also, depending on the type of water you are using, you may or may not get an algae bloom. More than likely if you use RO/DI you will not have one. Also, build up your "light's on" time slowly over a week or 2 period. Don't slam your tank with 12 hrs right away or indeed you WILL have an algae bloom.HTH
keith

jdazzle

Other than when you first put water in your tank, how is it possible to have -zero- amount of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? I thought that once you have -zero- ammonia and nitrites (after a spike, that is), you would have trace amounts of nitrates, not -zero-. Am I wrong?
My ammonia test kit turned a little bit greener than yellow about 2 weeks ago, then my nitrites turned a little more pink than blue, and now both of the tests are back closer to their low-level colors.
I had my lights on too long in the beginning, but then switched them to 6 hours and increased them to 9 hours now. My algae bloom slowed for the past 2 weeks, and in the past 5 days has started up again. This is the basis for me thinking that my tank has cycled.
I guess my whole confusion is lack of clarity with my test kits, but then again, this is why i'm asking the board for help! Thanks for all the responses, and please, keep them coming!

debbers

jdazzle,
I thought so, too. I've even heard some say that a trace of nitrates is good... go figure! Maybe someone can help out with this dilemma!!

debbers

You might want to see what Simm posted in reply to my questions. The thread is "Another Nitrate Question". HTH!

kpogue

The nitrates are not criticle to be read at zero, 10 is quite all right, but the other readings are. Esp the ammo.
That is the whole thing about the LR. It contains "life" that consumes ammo and the other bad stuff which should give you zero readings. After your inital cycle, you should not really need to worry about ammo unless something dies in your tank and you don't get it out, or constant overfeeding.
As you become more experienced you learn to rely on a combination of test kits and your own gut feeling what works for your tank. Each tank IME each tank has it's own personality, what works in one won't in another.