cycle over

david12

hello every one today i went down to the LFS and my ammonia tested 0 ammonia nitrites 0 ammonia nitrate tested 10 i did a bit of a water change as they told me to do now my salt levels arnt at there abit below i added salt back in and its still not reaching in the green where it should be any ideas what do i from here ? i would like to thank you all for helping me i am sure i still might need a bit of help from here still but no as much i still have brown agle and so on lfs sed your cycle is over you can add fish after a water change any ideas ???

meowzer

Yeah...stop listening to them...LOL....When you mixed your SW for your waterchange, did you test the salinity before you added it to your tank?
ALSO....before you add fish, you should begin with a clean up crew...a few snails, stuff like that...then test your water, wait a weeks or so, and if all stays good with the water then add your first fish
take it slowwwwww

ashleigh234

I posted on your other thread as well ...
You live in Sydney right? What is the name of the petshop you have been going to? I am in brisbane, but I can do some research on a local forum for you if you like as to whether they are a trusted shop or not.
Also, $80 for two clown fish? Unless they are generally an expensive type of clown, I wouldnt be paying $40 for a clown fish, you can generally find them in australia for $20-30 from memory, depending on shop quality, so for $40 I would hope they are some nice fish, and coming from an excellent shop!
PS - you will definately need to look into some sort of cooling for your tank, I have not been through a summer here yet with my tank (or in general as have not long moved here) but it gets rather hot, my chiller on my tank is already working quite a lot and its an open top tank and we also have the aircon going most days! Its not even summer!

david12

yeah i know what u mean there a redish colour clown still waiting at the pet shop i got all clear from other pet shop that my tank is ready for fish i got two 0 which is good lol did a water change my salt isnt at 2 but i rang up and they sed if my tank is over 26 it wont read it right so i have to wait for the temp to come down as for the chiller i dont have that type of money and my tank is a 50 litter so they told me just to put ice in a bag or a drink bottle or open the lip with a fan

david12

by the way i am ganna put a damals in my fish tank so0 how they go for a day or two thern add the clowns then get rip of damels

E

eric b 125

please dont put an ice bag in the tank. maybe if its an emergency situation and you have no other choice. a fan blowing across the surface of the water will help a little. it's spring there, yeah? ashleigh is already using her chiller in an air conditioned house. i'm guessing the summers down under pretty much call for a chiller unless the ambient temperature of the house is enough to keep the water at a favorable level. the fan on the water is a good start though, david.

gill again68

Yeah what they said.
Ok so its fall in ALABAMA but my temp was creeping up from 78 to 80 and wanted to head north of that. 2 computer fans later and it hasnt gone above 79.2. I have the fans blowing down directly into the sump. It only takes about 1 1/2 hrs to get back below 79. Also you may want to put some kind of screen over the top of the fans. I recently was working with my skimmer and am currently missing some flesh off of 1 finger and my kids learned a couple of new words to take to school.
btw did you mix the salt 24 hrs prior to putting in tank? I mis mine up long before I add it to the tank. May be a little overkill on the 24 hrs but I think most practice around this much time.
Good Luck.

ashleigh234

Yes it is spring here at the moment ... will be the hottest in jan I think.
This week we are hitting 30-34 degrees (thats 86-92 farenheight!!) and its not even summer, not sure how high sydney gets, but definately would require some cooling. Over summer we easily top 40!! (thats 104!)
Sydneys forecast seems a lot lower than ours, but they are still forecast to hit 34 and 35 tomorrow ... so there will definately be hot days.
I prefer to use the aircon as much as i can as the chiller is in the cabinet and gets quite hot in there ... also it means i am wearing out the landlords aircon unit rather than my chiller :)