cycle question

fixesjets

Hi everyone i am a newbee here.this will be my first post.i have been reading these post for a while now but i still am very unsure of what to do about cycling.can i use cured live rock vs. uncured or will that not work as well.also i heard about the shrimp method but my wife does not want the smell.has anyone heard of natures ocean it claims you can just add fish and you dont need to cycle.any inputs would be greatly appreciated.also if i add live sand would that kill off anything during the cycle?

ccg24

you still need to let it cycle, but the clown fish and damsels will survive the cycle period,

dmjordan

You can use cured LR instead of uncured but if your tank is a new set up than why? IOM it makes for a better tank if you use 50% LS and 50% dead sand, and 50% uncured LR and 50% base rock. The dead sand and base rock are a less expensive way to acomplish a deep sand bed and a nice amount of rock for your new aquarium. The LS and the LR will seed into your dead sand and base rock turning them into LS and LR. The die off and curing of the LR will start your cycle so you won't need to do the raw shrimp method. As far as the Natures Ocean thing. Don't try to play mother nature. A tank that has cycled naturally will be a healthier tank in the long run. What ever you decide to do do not use fish to cycle a tank or put fish into a tank that is cycling.