cycle question

deelucky

ok i have been in the hobby now for about a year,and i convinced my parents to convert there 125 to saltwater. now i set this up thursday so its been three days now.everything is new accept for 60lbs of live rock that came from an established tank.my question is should i let it play out a few days or start a cycle?,or claim it as ready? i dont believe its ready so any help would be great.thanks

boozzbro

do a test and see what your ammonia levels are at. it varies from tank to tank but generally once the ammonia is down to 0 you can put some hardy fish in there are rid the rest of the cycle out.

michaeltx

since new and 60 established # LR it might go through a mini cycle I would through in a pinch of flake food to kick start a mini cycle just to be sure.
Mike

bizzmoneyb

Id get some live sand, throw the rocks, water, and a tiny bit of fish food in there to get the bacteria goin, then check your ammonia, nitrates, ph, etc after a week or two. My tank took 4 weeks to get good but that was with uncured live rock, so im sure yours will be much shorter.

bizzmoneyb

60lbs in a 125gal isnt much rock at all. is that all the rock you want in there? if so, id check the water levels ammonia, nitrates, ph, ect in about a week or so. if everything is level, you should be good. just keep checkin it every week for any spikes.
if you want more rock, id wait until you can get some more, throw it all in and let it completely cycle. just my 2 cents.