cycle question

mp32

I just put my shrimp in yesterday to start my cycle, I have 180lbs of sand half of it is cultured live sand, I do not have any live rock I only have 200lbs of dead base rock. I just want to make sure when I should start testing for the start of the cycle, and if I should check daily and how big a spike should I look for? Thanks in advance.

mp32

Thanks, and what about the other spikes, nitrate, nitrite and anything else I should look for.

prime311

Until the Ammonia spikes theres not much reason to worry about anything else. After the Ammonia spike I'd monitor the Ammonia and Nitrate readings every few days. I don't see much point to testing Nitrite unless you're about to add corals or inverts.

mike15

Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate
Cycling time depends on many things so try to test a couple times every week after you get the ammonia spike if you want to watch the tank cycle progress.
After you get the ammonia spike, begin to test for ammonia and nitrite. The Ammonia level should eventually decrease and the nitrite should go up. After the nitrite spike, begin to test nitrites and nitrates. When nitrites and ammonia reach 0 and nitrates are the only thing left above 0, the cycle is complete and you should do a water change to lower the nitrates.
As a measure of safety, it is always a good idea to test all 3 levels constantly after the cycle is finished to be certain that the cycle has truly completed. Ammonia and Nitrates should always be at 0ppm and Nitrates should remain as low as possible (I try to keep mine under 20ppm at all times). Hope this help,
Mike15.
EDIT: Prime311 beat me to it =).

mp32

one more question, I have not hooked up my skimmer yet should I wait for the cycle to end or go ahead and hook it up?