Cycle Tank with Live Rock?

phxjosh

I am just starting to set up my tank, and after reading this article on about.com I am a little confused.
I have my tank up on the stand and I want to start setting it up. I was planning on adding salt water, live rock, and some live sand today.
Does the live rock need to be cured before the cycle, or will it cure during the cycle? Do I need lighting during the cycle, besides a basic fluorescent for when I am checking it out?
The rocks I have found are stored in a large tub at my LFS, so are these cured or no? How to I transport them home exactly, do I need to bring buckets or anything with me?
Also, do I run my heaters during the cycle?
Thanks!

florida joe

Ok the reason you are adding live rock to your tank is to cycle because you want some die off which will introduce ammonia in your tank to feed and increases the nitrification bacteria. I would not spend the money of fully cured live rock ask you LFS for some rock that is not fully cured he should sell it to you cheaper. Just have him wrap it in some wet newspaper (wet with salt water) put it in then sit on your hands until you acheve the almighty word “ cycled “
Get a light
what is the Ambient temp of your house you will eventually want a thermometer

kaingers

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2892258
Ok the reason you are adding live rock to your tank is to cycle because you want some die off which will introduce ammonia in your tank to feed and increases the nitrification bacteria. I would not spend the money of fully cured live rock ask you LFS for some rock that is not fully cured he should sell it to you cheaper. Just have him wrap it in some wet newspaper (wet with salt water) put it in then sit on your hands until you acheve the almighty word “ cycled “
Get a light
what is the Ambient temp of your house you will eventually want a thermometer
+1
And I think he meant to say heater, not thermometer. I would cycle a tank with all of the LR and LS you plan on having in the tank. It is also a smart idea to have all of your equipment up and running as well. Make sure your LR is on the bottom glass and then add your sand. There are plenty of threads about these start-up issues and concerns.

phxjosh

I had a FW tank that stayed around 76-78 with no heater, then winter rolled around and I needed it. I picked up two heaters today, I am shooting for 78.
I decided to wait til next weekend to start the tank, this will give me more time to research, at this point I feel I am ready to start the cycle, but I want to be even more prepare for anything just to be safe, I can't really afford to ruin this tank!