cycle..

robbie2

I guess I'm running out of patience until my cycle completes.. :)
Its been 3 weeks since I started it..
My levels have come down very little.. Is there something I can do to speed it up?

E

elan

speeding up the process is not usually recommended... in fact, i have read some posts in which people have diluted their tank in order to creat a longer cycle...
There is no set time for nature to take its course. it all depends on how much bacteria you started with and how fast it is propogating... therefore, nobody can tell you how fast... mine took a good month to a month and a half.....and i read a post the other day in which this guys tank cycled in a little over a week.
a completion of a cycle only means that there is barely enough biofiltration to complete your cycle...
its always best to give it more time to ensure the biofiltration has matured in order to accomodate your livestock...
and when you start adding livestock, do it slowly, because your biofiltration will have to "grow" some more in order to take care of the bioload...
by the way, how did you introduce ammonia to your tank??
just my opinion and hope this helps.

E

elan

just read your sig and found the damsel.....
Also, with your skimmer, you may want to read up on that one... i think i remember reading that you should not run the skimmer during the cycle. not sure why though.

cboyfan2020

skimmer slows down the cycle by taking the organic material away from the bacteria we are trying to establish. People run them sometimes but it does slow it down.
Patience is the key to this hobby. My tank took 2 months to cycle and I couldnt wait to get some more fish. Needless to say I hadnt found these boards yet and added a flame angel 1 week after cycle completed and unfortunately he perished:( Just be patient and wait it out. then slowly add livestock so you dont bombard you system with more then it can handle. Good luck.