Cycled already??

catfishcity

I set up a frag tank almost 2 weeks ago and im not really sure if it is cycled or not. i used 4g of cycled water from my tank as well as a refugium with live rock, live sand, and chaeto in it. i keep testing my water and everyday it still comes back as:
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ph 8.1
Could my tank be cycled already from the cycled tank water and the refugium?

florida joe

My answer to your question was that your water has no impact on your nitrification, your nitrifying bacteria colonize on hard surfaces inside your tank not in your water column so it does not matter if you take your water from a established tank or not

tank a holic

My tank never did spike ammonia and its 2 years old, so IME yes you can already be cycled but I'm sure some people will disagree with me

catfishcity

ok. i only have about 5lbs of live rock in my refugium with about a 4" live sand bed in it. this refugium is very small, only about 4 gallons because it is in my 10g sump.

d-man

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3060317
My tank never did spike ammonia and its 2 years old, so IME yes you can already be cycled but I'm sure some people will disagree with me

I have moved my tank 2x and started 2 tanks and tested all the way and I have never seen much of a spike if any sort