Cycled already?!?!?

jennlegend

Hello! I set up a 46 gal bow front on 9/14...10 lbs LR and 4" DSB. I added 2 raw shrimp to start the cycle. On 9/21 I added 15 lbs more LR...it stunk a bit, so I think it had some die-off. I tested the water that day (9/21) Nitrate-0, Nitrite-0.1, Ammonia-0.25, pH-8.4. I figured the cycle hadn't really started yet since the shrimp were only half gone. Now the shrimp have been completely gone for about a week and my levels are about the same...Nitrate-2.5, Nitrite-0, Ammonia-0-0.25, pH-8.2. Do you think the tank has cycled since the shrimp are gone? Is it possible that I just missed testing during the level peaks? I noticed a red hairy crab on some of the LR and it is still alive...that has to be a good sign, right???
Thanks!

stacyt

It's possible that the tank is almost cycled. I never saw high peeks of ammonia in the last tank that I setup, but I started the tank with 4" of LS. I beleived that helped in keeping the ammonia levels down. I would wait until the ammonia has dropped to 0, and wait a couple of days after that before adding any livestock. Also you may want to start with 1 very hardy fish just to be on the safe side.

shadow678

With a 4" DSB, you will want to wait until ALL readings come out 0, amm., nitrite, and nitrate. The only level that is acceptable to a certain extent is nitrate. If you are showing any ammonia or nitrite, and you have not added anything recently(week for fish, 2 weeks for rock), then your cycle has not completed. I would also suggest getting 25 lbs. more rock. You will want to wait 4-6 weeks after adding the last of the uncured rock before adding any livestock, so even if you do not add any more, you should wait another 2-4 weeks for the new rock you added on 9/21 to finish dying off and cycling. HTH

jennlegend

Do you think I should put a damsel or two in there to help finish out the cycle? If I can catch them, that is!! ;)