cycled for two weeks no spike

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by rad
Thanks chipmaker, I was a little discouraged by eaglewonj's post because he had just started cycling with lr a few days ago and Ive been cycling for nearly two weeks now. Im definately not going to throw in a dead shrimp instead I think Im going to go to my lfs and get me a clown goby this weekend. Sounds rational enough to me. I probally wont add anything else for another couple weeks but why not just start there and see how it goes? totally sweet! :happyfish
Don't get too discouraged because yesterday the readings were up, today they are down, but ammonia is still 0.50.....
I want to see ammonia at least show a decline or drop to 0. So for now I can't be sure I even had a cycle, but if i did and that is what I saw yesterday then god bless live rock!

chipmaker

Well my LFS here and its a super duper LFS too boot, sets up tanks all the time, and sells and uses nothing but fully cycled ready to go live rock. With their pre printed setup instructions it states you may or may not notice a cycle with our live rock and sand as its fully cycled and fish can in most cases start to be stocked within 1 to 3 days. This short time frame is dependant on how log the rock remains out of our tanks after purchase until its in your tank. This short cycle will ensure sufficient beneficial bacteria are present, for a programed stocking of your tank with adding a few fish at a time over a period of a couple of weeks, and allowing more bacteria to multiply as bio load increases with additional fish.
They have been in businesss close to 35 years and have yet to ever steer me or any one else wrong .....there just is not any need to use dead anything or live anything to initiate a cycle especially if live rock is being used. If Ammonia and nItrite is at 0 at this point in time I would not be afraid to start adding a fish. While ammonia and nitrite is bad, nitrite is worse for a fish than the ammonia is......... I would do a partial small water change and check parameters and if still ok, bump on with adding a fish.

eaglewonj

What about the 7.8 pH, because I still have that too. The skimmer is now running and I'm waiting for it to break in and give good foam production. If properly acclimated will the fish still do ok in the 7.8?

rad

chipmaker, your the awesomest. I will post a picture of my new fish as soon as I get it.