Cycled Tank

whitey_028

Originally Posted by GSD
uncured live rock is still a lot faster and better than using a shrimp. The water does not get anywhere near as funky, and its going to cycle faster. True a cycle may be overnight if fully cured rock is used, but odds are everyone doesnot have access to fullycured live rock. You also have a lot more critters on the rock to survive as copated to if yu use a dead shrimp, as the ammonia levels do not get anywhere hear as high nor do the nitrite levels, and since its quicker more stuff survives in the process.

puffer32

Originally Posted by GSD
uncured live rock is still a lot faster and better than using a shrimp. The water does not get anywhere near as funky, and its going to cycle faster. True a cycle may be overnight if fully cured rock is used, but odds are everyone doesnot have access to fullycured live rock. You also have a lot more critters on the rock to survive as copated to if yu use a dead shrimp, as the ammonia levels do not get anywhere hear as high nor do the nitrite levels, and since its quicker more stuff survives in the process.
totally disagree with you here. Nothing stinkier then uncured LR! And die off is much more bound to happen as the ammonia rises in uncured rock. In that case water changes are needed which slows down the cycle Raw shrimp if taken out early on causes minimal die off. Last 3 tanks I cycled were cycled in less then 2 weeks, and little die off. And little smell. Much less then the stuff that dies off of uncured LR.

teen

hmmmmm. i cycled my 30 gallon in a little over 2 weeks using 35 lbs of uncured LR. how is that longer than using shrimp?

gsd

Originally Posted by puffer32
totally disagree with you here. Nothing stinkier then uncured LR! And die off is much more bound to happen as the ammonia rises in uncured rock. In that case water changes are needed which slows down the cycle Raw shrimp if taken out early on causes minimal die off. Last 3 tanks I cycled were cycled in less then 2 weeks, and little die off. And little smell. Much less then the stuff that dies off of uncured LR.
Well I certianly do not know where you may have found your live rock at, or how dead it was but typical liverock received form vendors in need of final cure is just not as smelly as you lead on as it being. And there is no way that the average uncured live rock is goona be as much of a mess as dead shrimp.........You8 seem to be the ifrst andonly one that has ever made this assumption than live rock curing is a much messier situatin thanusuing dead shrimp in quite a few forums......Please inform us wher eyu get such deploreable liverock so we do not make that mistake either. No, LR is just not anywhere near messy as shrimp is........but what you consider suitable rock is an another issue.....

birdy

There is a big difference between "uncured" LR and LR that needs a "final cure". True Uncured LR is taken directly from the ocean and shipped to your house. I would personally not cycle a take with true uncured LR, just too much die off. Now getting drop shipped cured LR (stuff that is pre-cured) and using that to cycle a tank is perfect. Most of the dead stuff is gone, but there is enough die off from the two day shipping to cycle the tank. Honestly I am not a big fan of the shrimp method either, too much die off again. I prefer using LR and doing water changes during he cycle to keep the ammonia level down (why kill off the good stuff with a high ammonia spike, doesn't make any sense). Feeding your tank as if you had several fish in it will "cycle" it just fine.
Hutchinson- if your Nitrites are really high and not dropping then I would suggest some water changes, that will many times help things come down. What are your Ammonia readings.
Don't listen to people who will say water changes will prolong your cycle, that is just not true.
Oh and run some carbon in the tank to help with the "yellow color".

teresaq

be calm. your cycle will mot tank 3 months. did you use just one shrimp?? is it all fuzzy and nasty. if you , you can take it out now. let your tank run and keep checking your levels. if your water is yellow, try running some carbon in your filter.
There are a lot of people here with a lot of experiance., and a lot of differant ways of doing things. they are here to help, not to sell you things like your lfs. we are not out to make money, just to help you get a good start, and educate.

pwrengine

So what I'm hearing is that there are good and bad points for using LR or dead shrimp - using fish is unnecessarily cruel to the fish. LFS employees and/or owners have their own opinions...
Has anyone used dead clams instead of shrimp? This was recommended by a local person (former LFS owner for many years). She stressed to freeze them first...?
Also, in a 72 gal (salt water has been circulating for almost a month) can I put 40 lbs of uncured (pre-cured, then shipped) LR in the sump and cycle like this? Or should I use the shrimp or clam method first? or could I add the LR in the middle of the cylce? Or would I add less or more LR?
Thanks

birdy

pw- if you are adding LR that has been pre-cured and you are still cycling your tank then add it to the display tank all at once. No need to add anything else to decay. As far as the clams, it really doesn't matter either way what you put in there, you just need something decaying in the water to start the cycle, it can be, fish food, dead shrimp/clams/fish, or some decay off LR.

hutchinson

Once your nitrites and nitrates get so high what makes them come down??
And when u say put carbon in the filter what do you mean?
Thanks!

birdy

Hutchinson- if you do not have a good reference book on saltwater aquariums I would highly recommend that you get and read one. The conscientious Marine Aquarist is a good one. It would answer these basic questions for you.
You need to research the "Cycle" so you understand what is happening to your tank.
As far as Carbon, what type of filter are you using on your tank? if you have a sump then you buy some activated carbon, but it in a filter bag and set it in your sump.

gexkko

I'm not an expert in the SW aquaria world, but I can answer that question hutch. The nitrogen cycle has three major steps (well, four, or sometimes five, depending on who you ask, but that's neither here nor there). Raw organic waste (i.e. dead shrimp) decays and releases toxic ammonia into the water. The first step in the cycle is the growth of bacteria which break down this toxic ammonia into slightly less-toxic nitrite. When this happens, ammonia levels drop rapidly and nitrite levels rise rapidly. The next step to happen is the growth of bacteria which convert nitrite into even less toxic nitrate. When this happens, nitrite levels drop and nitrate levels increase. Your final step is the removal of the nitrates. There are various methods to do this, but the simplest and most effective is to perform a water change, and keep performing them on a regular basis (biweekly seems to be what people say).
I would remove the shrimp from your tank if you haven't already, as the ammonia-converting bacteria have already propogated. If your nitrites are still high, the tank hasn't fully cycled yet. When they reach zero, do a water change and you should be good to go. Make sure however that your tap water (if that is what you are using) does not have added nitrates (you can do this by testing the water, or by calling the treatment company). If it does, purchase RO/DI water (walmart, lfs, or buy an RO unit) for the water changes so you aren't adding nitrates with each change.
As far as carbon goes, various filter types come with carbon already in the media. If yours does not, or if the carbon isn't doing a great job (with yellow water, it probably isn't or isn't there), you can purchase activated carbon from a lfs and a bag to place it in (there may be cheaper methods for bagging the carbon, but that's not my area of expertise atm). Rinse the carbon to remove dust, fill the bag, seal it, and place it in your filter. It will need to be placed in different areas depending on your filter type. Make sure to place it where the flow out of the filter (before the water actually exits the filter though) passes through it. The carbon will remove various elements from the water, which should hopefully remove your yellow color, unless there is some other cause.

puffer32

Check out this thread, thats the kind of uncured rock i wouldn't use!
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/217354/curing-lr-and-ammonia-is-at-8-0
I am talking about uncured LR stinking bad, not cured LR you have shipped with some die off. Many sites offer uncured LR at a cheaper price, and offer cured rock at a higher price,which does have some die off due to shipping. I would not buy the uncured LR cause its nasty enough and add shipping time, and does it reek! If the poster does not want to use shrimp, then shipped cured rock will cycle, just not as quickly as a shrimp. Again, I don't leave the shrimp in the water long enough to rot, just long enough to get some bacteria going. I set up a nano last sunday, dropped a small amount of cured LR and a cocktail shrimp, monday night i took out the shrimp cause my ammonia spiked already. I tested my tank this morning, 1 week later, and my ammonia and trites were 0, and trates were 40, did a water change, and now trates are 10. So a week cycle with no smelly anything, works for me
. But hey, to each his own, JMO there are many ways to cycle a tank, and as long as people don't use live fish, any way is fine by me