Cycled?

tclark828

I purchased 120lbs of live rock from an online retailer. He said it was totally cured, and would not need to go through the curing process when i received it if i got it right in the water. I have had it for a few days now, and all my water tests are coming back good. 0 nitrate readings, and all other water conditions are where they are supposed to be. Will there be a nitrate spike, or was this rock really totally cured? FWIW he told me it would be ready for livestock immediately.

snakeblitz33

I would not visit that online retailer anymore, honestly. Any rock out of water for any length of time will have some live stuff die on it. I suggest you test for ammonia and nitrite. You will probably see some show up in your tests.
Either ghost feed the tank just a little or put in a small piece of raw shrimp in the aquarium. That way, the bacteria can build up in the system and be ready for a fish. Your tank NEEDS to cycle.

tclark828

I am a little confused on how to test for ammonia. The kit i have tests for nitrates and nitrites i believe, but there is no specific test for ammonia. Both of these test have been at 0 all week, and all of the other tests that my kit does come back where they are supposed to be. I dont know much about live rock, but these are very colorful and have all sorts of life on them like weird bugs etc. I really dont know what any of it is, but there is definitely alot of living things on them. I'm just unsure of what to do next with my system.