cycleing tank (this is ok)

movadoman21

i have just started my salt water tank.
i started it with the NATURE'S OCEAN BIO-ACTIV ARAGONITE live sand.
i tested everthing and it was all perfect.
on saturday the 22 i got my fish for cycleing. i bought 2 clow fish. i tested my tank today (march 24)
this is what i got
(sat) (mon)
ph 0 ph 0
ammonia 0 ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0 nitrite 0
nitrate 0 nitrate 5
i have a protin skimmer installed but not running as of yet. when is a good time to start it up and when do i know when i am done cycleing the take so i can put more fish and corel in?
whats the reason for cyecling the tank for?
thank you for your help
:confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
movadoman21, do your clownfish a big favor and please take them back where you got them. These fish are going to die in a cycling tank, and that would really be a shame.
You sound like you haven't done much studying up on this hobby before jumping in to it! That is going to result in problems, rather than enjoyment, for you, and suffering for the animals that you get.
Take my advise and return the clowns. Do some research here at SWF.com, and get a good hobby book. Robert Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" would be perfect for you to read. As a new hobbyists, this book will fulfil all your needs.

R

rogeta

I hope your pH isn't 0..lol...that would be REALLY bad lol.

I would also suggest returning the fish and cycle with a dead grocery store shrimp instead.
Be patient, take your time and do lots of research, and add fish slowly after the tank cycles.

E

elan

movadoman21,
much like you, i dove right into the saltwater tank with my head so far up my ass, the cashier at the local fish store (LFS) didnt have to try to take all my money.
Once i found this website, the people here really gave me some good CURRENT advice. After getting Robert Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" i realized that many of the people out there that either dont have a saltwater tank today, or had one years ago are telling you the truth, but their truth is outdated and costly in time.
over the last few years, a change/trend has occurred giving rise to biofiltration with minimized mechanical filtration (there are a few good ones still in use such as the skimmer). some of the people you may have asked gave you valid advice such as getting fish in the tank to cycle, (although the heartier damsels are normally used with a 50% survival rate) but people now know today that you dont need fish to cycle the tank. The purpose of the fish is to get ammonia in the tank to kick off the cycle. but as the ammonia rises, and nitrite and nitrate rise, the fish will perish. using a dead grocery store shrimp instead will still put the necessary ammonia into the tank kicking off the cycle without need to waste a living fish and your $20 bucks.
If you do your homework right, and have the patience , you can actually create a rather low maintience beautiful system with very high survival rates.
Oh, by the way, the trend is away from mechanical systems in favor of biofiltration systems which is mother natures way of taking care of itself. Read up on a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) and live rock (which by itself can cycle the tank). I really wish i did because i started with crushed coral (which is now replaced with a DSB) and a wet/dry filter which i am now looking to replace with a skimmer. and with your skimmer, you should turn that on once your tank is done with its cycle.
Cycling is basically establishing the biofiltration system. First, your fish and other living things you put in the tank consume food (protein mostly and alot of other things) and its waste is ammonia. Bacteria will establish in your system (in a wet/dry, or live rock) that will consume ammonia and waste nitrite. Then other bacteria will consume nitrite and waste nitrate. high levels of ammonia and nitrite will kill all your fish. (yours are still alive because they havent created a high enough toxic level of ammonia, which turns to nitrite (but be assured, once your level rise, your clowns will die) for the nitrate, detectible levels arnt an immediate threat, but as it rises, it will also be toxic. water changes at that point will keep it diluted but you can also get other filter systems such as a DSB or a refugium which will consume the nitrate and waste nitrogen which will just bubble up to the surface of the water and keep your nitrate levels from reaching high levels as quick. (i have even heard people say that their DSB is working so well, they barely have to do water changes)
The thing for you to do now is create a game plan. I really do suggest the book above since its pretty recent and gives you a good picture of all that is out there, what to stay away from, and help you create the perfect game plan for you.
Also, i find the people on this site are extremely helpful and willing to take their time to help you create the best system for the lowest cost. They give impartial advice with no profit motive whatsoever. Many share how they have created their systems and there are many do it yourself (DIY) plans out there that will keep your costs very low when wanting to create systems such as a refugium (with a Rubbermaid) that will cost a fraction of the systems the LFS will sell you and work much much better.
Well, i am off, i hope this helped, and by the way, all this and much much more was learned from that book and the people on this site.

movadoman21

hey rogeta my ph is 8.2 if you actually read my message it tells it all. well hope you grow up some day people like you shouldn't be on boards you dont help you just make problems
i asked for some advice and you wanna be smart. thats not helping thats being stuipd i bet you messed up your take when you first started saltwarter.

R

rogeta

Well, I am sorry if i offended you. But i must be blind because i did read your post and your ph does say 0? anyone else? or am i the only one? Plus i am on my fist tank too...so far so good..have fun!
Looking up,
Rocco

richard rendos

I think you will do fine cycling with two clownfish. I cycled my 33 cube with 2 TR oscellaris. I don't think they will necessarily die in a cycling tank...mine are fine. I have always cycled with fish and live rock...not dead shrimp from the grocery store. I do hope the pH isn't really 0. I am sure that was just a typo...if pH was 0, fish would be dead already.
Good luck, and keep us updated.

goldrush

Movadoman, Yes,you CAN cycle with live fish,but it is no longer the accepted way. There is a very good chance the fish will not live through it. Why subject them to the stress? Your original post Did say PH 0 . RoGeTa pointed that out and you attacked him. There are a lot of people here that are more than happy to help,but there will be fewer unless you get rid of ther attitude.Good luck.

richard rendos

Using fish to cycle a tank is accepted by me and many others so I wouldn't say it is no longer the "accepted" way. Some don't accept the use of deep sand beds, or protein skimmers, or plenums, or refugiums, but they all work. Just take things slowly. Let the tank cycle naturally and at it's own pace. The biggest mistake anyone can make when setting up an aquarium is to rush things.

737mech

Movadoman21, I just got done cycling a 10 gal QT with 1 raw shrimp that I had in the freezer. It works great! No fish were used. It's so not necessary. All you need is to get the amo going. You could even use fish food.
I believe that this site has a lot of experienced people here. Why not listen and take their advice. I have and I will continue to learn from other people's mistakes. Just my 2 cents worth.

movadoman21

hello guys sorry for the attuitude earlyer umm my fish are still alive and it was a typo my PH is actually 8.2 sorry for the type.
so with cycling i dont need a skimmer? or i still need one? and i wanna get some live coral. is there a differnce between live rock and live coral? when do i know everthing is ok and the cycling is done?

R

rogeta

Well i'll let someone else elaborate on the coral and live rock as they will know better then me. Live rock, from what i understand, is esencially just dead coral that has become populated by beneficial bactiria and miscilaneous other little creature and coral is a type of living invertabrate. Anyway someone else can tell you that one lol. As far as the cycle goes you will know its finished when there is not any more ammonia (NH3) or Nitrites (NO2) are testable as 0 and your Nitrates (NO3) start to lower. As a side note people say a tank isn't fully cure for 6 moths to a year but when the nitrates go down to a tolerable level some fish are safe to keep...Hope this helped a bit!
Looking up,
Rocco

E

elan

I agree with RoGeTa, you are looking at anywhere from about a month away to start adding livestock and 6 months for adding more sensitive livestock. It all depends on what is hearty enough until your system is in full swing. there are some corals that will tolerate the toxisity in the beginning, and some that will not. fish work the same way. it all depends on what you want to get. go to the lfs and look around. bring something to write on and take down the name of any of the living things you want to get. getting the scientific name is best. then log back on and see what you can find for that particular species. See how hard it is to take care of, what it will tollerate and what it will not. see what it eats, and if it likes dark or bright light.
let me know what you find. i am still doing some research on what i find.