cycling a new tank`

texasmetal

I've seen a mantis take out a blue-ring octopus in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately to link the vid here would require linking to another site/forum or I would share it.

yearofthenick

I just found that video. Incredible. That mantis shrimp was HUGE... and I'm shocked at how small the blue ring was. It's actually pretty disturbing to watch.
I've been thinking of starting a small octo tank. What size tank would a small blue ring like that be comfortable in? I have a 35g and it would be the only thing in there. Would the blue ring outgrow it?

Don't get me started about my LFS. None, I mean NONE said anything about "cycling" the tank. We went to three different shops while gathering equipment for our tank. This is how it was laid out to us:
Buy tank, 75 pounds of crushed coral, filter and heater.
We bought 60 pounds of crushed coral, 40 pounds of live sand, two filters and a heater.
Then we were told to mix water and add fish. In a week, check the water for nitrites, once they spike do a 20% water change and you are good to go. We have determined that the stores in our area know jack about fishes.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2744698
I just found that video. Incredible. That mantis shrimp was HUGE... and I'm shocked at how small the blue ring was. It's actually pretty disturbing to watch.
I've been thinking of starting a small octo tank. What size tank would a small blue ring like that be comfortable in? I have a 35g and it would be the only thing in there. Would the blue ring outgrow it?
With a child in your house you absolutely do not want to risk keeping a blue-ring. A 30 gallon would be fine for one, they are very small octos, but on the chance it escaped...
A member of TONMO is currently breeding octopus chierchia and if he's successful long-term they'll be available. Also you could try out O. mercatoris, but honestly I'd suggest getting a 55 gallon and keeping one of the larger, funner species.

octopus8

Texas Metal,
Get down off your high horse. I guarantee you use things or do things that aren't considered ethical for your own benefit. You eat meat don't you, to feed your fat face? You are using an animal for your own benefit! They do serve a purpose, regardless if it is inhumane or not. The basic principle is that you are trying to get the optimum conditions for your more expensive fish! Damsels are two dollars and they do serve a purpose. It has been a few weeks and my tank is cycled. The damsels are still alive and I don't care if you think it is humane or not!
You are probably the same person who is a rich Republican and would sell out the legacy of your grandchildren to get a tax break on your business, so shut your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by octopus8
http:///forum/post/2745204
Texas Metal,
Get down off your high horse. I guarantee you use things or do things that aren't considered ethical for your own benefit. You eat meat don't you, to feed your fat face? You are using an animal for your own benefit! They do serve a purpose, regardless if it is inhumane or not. The basic principle is that you are trying to get the optimum conditions for your more expensive fish! Damsels are two dollars and they do serve a purpose. It has been a few weeks and my tank is cycled. The damsels are still alive and I don't care if you think it is humane or not!
You are probably the same person who is a rich Republican and would sell out the legacy of your grandchildren to get a tax break on your business, so shut your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude, out of line. You need to be careful because the mod's can cancel your username for attacks like this one. Don't get mad at TexasMetal because he cares about all forms of life... I have seen TexasMetal provide invaluable information on countless threads on this forum, and I think he knows his stuff well enough to earn a little respect.
So please, don't throw him under the bus just because his opinions differ from yours. Lets try to keep this forum respectful.

octopus8

Oh, so he can throw me under the bus, but I can't reply. I was not the one accusing him of being cruel to animals. Lot's of people use damsels to cycle their tank. I was only defending myself, not attacking him. He can do whatever he wants, I was only trying to get answers from other people. I appreciate other people's opinion, but there is no need to tell me I am cruel to animals because I cycle a fish aquarium with a $2 fish! I don't think you read the whole thread!

shiby1510

Enough of bashing each other.... lets remember this is a place for knowledge and education.
On that note... dsx450 mentioned using ammonia from the grocery store... I've never heard of this before... can anyone else verify this?

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by shiby1510
http:///forum/post/2745302
Enough of bashing each other.... lets remember this is a place for knowledge and education.
On that note... dsx450 mentioned using ammonia from the grocery store... I've never heard of this before... can anyone else verify this?
Yes you can do that. Just have to be careful on how much you add. Your ammonia level can rise to fast with this method.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by octopus8
http:///forum/post/2745204
Texas Metal,
haha. You don't have a clue about me son. And you couldn't be further from the truth. Getting all childish about the issue doesn't make you look any better. Life feeds on life. I can't very well feed my "fat" face with dirt, now can I? My philosophy of animals is much like that of the Native Americans. Take only what you can use, and make good use of it. Basically, don't squander it. Comparing eating to sustain my existence to wasting a fish in a polluted environment is laughable.
It's all good though. What goes around comes around. Perhaps your lack of respect for life will turn into life's lack of respect for you.
FYI, I'm an Independent voter, and I work for $8 an hour at a book store.
Good luck in your endeavor. Sorry I was so insulting, but if no one spoke for the animals they'd disappear pretty quick.

oceansidefish

Damsels are hard to catch, the devil incarnate and they are not needed to cycle a tank. If you have them in there already then leave them if you are going to do a FOWLER and wantto keep them. If not I would get them out or you will be asking how to build a fish trap when you put your clowns or other peacefull fish in there. Cycling with a shrimp is a tried and true method and works just fine.
Also you will want to add some more live rock and live sand to that tank. IMHO I would have at least 120 pounds of sand and the same or more in LR.
People here want to help you and there is ALOT of bad information out there. Just because we did it before does not make it ok now kind of a thing.

michaeltx

infractions have been given to the posts that were way out of line and deleted. Please refrain from bashing each other for any reason its not what we are here for nor is it allowed here.
Mike