cycling a QT

staci

OK so If I use a piece of lr and a scoop of ls and 3/4 of the water from my tank to set up a qt..how long do you think it might take for it to cycle or will there even be a cycle? I would like to get it up and going for my fish.. my blue hippo has ich...the refractometer should be here wed..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Staci
OK so If I use a piece of lr and a scoop of ls and 3/4 of the water from my tank to set up a qt..how long do you think it might take for it to cycle or will there even be a cycle? I would like to get it up and going for my fish.. my blue hippo has ich...the refractometer should be here wed..
It will still cycle. Use a piece of rock with barely any coraline or growth on it at all. You cannot normaly hypo rock because any life on it, besides bacteria, will die but a piece without much life on it will benefit your tank. Use a few cups of sand. You will have to be on top of water changes.

staci

thanks for the info..The water changes will be ok cuz im home all day and my house has a r/o unit so I always have at least 20g ready.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Staci
thanks for the info..The water changes will be ok cuz im home all day and my house has a r/o unit so I always have at least 20g ready.
Staci, what sized tank is this? You will be wasting your time if you do not treat all of your fish.